Kinetic energy of plastic and lead carts pushed by equal force

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 12K views
feedmeister
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

This really isn't a homework question, but rather a "coursework" question. It's pretty simple, I'm just trying to understand the concept. It's a workbook problem from my book.


Homework Statement


A 0.2 kg plastic card and a 20 kg lead cart both roll without friction on a horizontal surface. Equal forces are used to push both carts forward a distance of 1m, starting from rest. After traveling 1m, is the kinetic energy of the plastic cart greater than, less than, or equal to the kinetic energy of the lead cart? Explain.


Homework Equations


K.E. = (1/2)m*v^2
F = m*a

The Attempt at a Solution



I think it'd be the same because the velocities would make up for the difference in masses since there's the same amount of force.

If you can explain it to me I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, yes I forgot that equation. So I guess I was right.

Thanks!