Comparing the Torque values to tighten vs loosen a bolt

In summary, the torque required to unscrew a bolt is always higher than the torque required to tighten it due to the difference in static and kinetic friction and the stretching of the elastic bolt during the tightening process. This has been tested and found to be 10-20% higher in various setups with no lubrication. While there may be some exceptions, such as when using a penetrating lubricant, this general rule still applies.
Saint1968
If I torque a thread combination of M26x1,5; in brass material, with 90 Nm.
Length of threds are 12 mm.
Will the torque to unscrew the parts be equal, higher or lower?
Why?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I never measured this, but I would guess the untightening torque will always be higher.

When you are tightening a screw, it necessarily moves which means kinetic friction is involved.

When you are untightening a screw, it necessarily doesn't move at first which means static friction is involved.

Since static friction is always greater than kinetic friction, therefore untightening always requires more torque than tightening.

Likes Saint1968
In addition of course there are slower chemical processes (say diffusion limited oxidation) which also mitigate towards adhesion. So I agree.
But I wonder if there are interesting counterexamples. Administration of penetrating lubricant is an obvious one...

Likes jack action
Lnewqban said:
Are you sure about that thread?
I believe that only M25 and M27 exist, and both have a bigger pitch.
M26x1,5 is a metric pipe thread. The standard is DIN 158.
It is also used for brass bulkhead or conduit threads.
M26x1,5 is an uncommon ISO (extra) fine thread. DIN 13-6.
https://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/iso-fine-thread-5.html

Last edited:
Likes Saint1968 and Lnewqban
Saint1968 said:
If I torque a thread combination of M26x1,5; in brass material, with 90 Nm.
Length of threds are 12 mm.
Will the torque to unscrew the parts be equal, higher or lower?
Why?
It depends. If it has a spring or lock washer, it will require more torque to undo the locked nut.

Most nuts are tightened or released in a series of short steps. The magnitude of the static or kinetic friction forces should therefore be independent of direction.

We should assume that lubrication of the nut on the bolt, and the nut against the flat washer or clamped material, will be independent of time and direction of turning.

As the nut is tightened, energy is invested, stretching the elastic bolt. As the nut is undone, the stored energy is released, requiring slightly less torque. That seems to contradict the answer given in post #2.
jack action said:
Since static friction is always greater than kinetic friction, therefore untightening always requires more torque than tightening.
Now consider rotating a hexagonal nut in 60° steps with a spanner.
The final tightening step starts with higher (static) friction and lower bolt tension, then ends with lower (kinetic) friction, but greater bolt tension. The start and end of the final step should therefore partly balance.
The first step undoing the nut starts with higher (static) friction, under maximum bolt tension. It ends in lower (kinetic) friction and lower bolt tension.

So more torque is required to start undoing the nut, than was needed to finish tightening it earlier.
That agrees with the answer given in post #2.

Likes Lnewqban and BvU
Baluncore said:
So more torque is required to start undoing the nut, than was needed to finish tightening it earlier.
That agrees with the answer given in post #2.
Anybody replacing a flat tire on the side of a highway would agree with that statement. 😀

Likes berkeman and Tom.G
jack action said:
I never measured this, but I would guess the untightening torque will always be higher.

When you are tightening a screw, it necessarily moves which means kinetic friction is involved.

When you are untightening a screw, it necessarily doesn't move at first which means static friction is involved.

Agree. Have tested this now. Tested with torque of 50, 70 and 90 Nm. The needed torque to unscrew the bolt is always 10 - 20 % higher in my setup. (M26x1,5 brass/brass, no grease)

Likes jack action, Lnewqban, Baluncore and 1 other person

1. How do I know what torque value to use when tightening or loosening a bolt?

The specific torque value to use when tightening or loosening a bolt will depend on several factors including the size and type of bolt, the material it is being used on, and the application. It is important to consult the manufacturer's instructions or a torque chart to determine the appropriate value.

2. Can I use the same torque value for both tightening and loosening a bolt?

In most cases, the torque value for tightening and loosening a bolt will be different. This is because the direction of torque, clockwise or counterclockwise, can affect the amount of force needed to achieve the desired tightness. It is important to follow the specific torque values for each direction to ensure proper bolt tension and avoid damage.

3. What happens if I use too much torque when tightening a bolt?

If too much torque is applied when tightening a bolt, it can result in over-tightening and potentially cause the bolt to break or strip the threads. This can also lead to uneven tension on the bolt, compromising its holding strength. It is important to use the correct torque value to avoid these issues.

4. Is it necessary to use a torque wrench when tightening or loosening bolts?

While it is possible to tighten or loosen bolts without a torque wrench, it is highly recommended to use one. A torque wrench allows for precise torque application and helps ensure that the correct amount of force is applied, preventing damage to the bolt or the material it is being used on.

5. Can I reuse the same torque value for a bolt multiple times?

In most cases, it is not recommended to reuse the same torque value for a bolt multiple times. Each time a bolt is tightened and loosened, it can affect the tension and integrity of the bolt. It is best to follow the recommended torque values and replace the bolt if necessary.