Complete annihilation of light through polarizers

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of two polarizers in an experiment and the inability to achieve complete darkness, instead resulting in a change of color in the light source. The reason for this is due to imperfections in the polarizers, as perfect polarizers are difficult to manufacture. The suggestion is made to include perfect polarizers in the experiment catalog.
quietrain
Hi,

when i am doing an experiment that uses two polarizers (Cross) to achieve complete annihilation of light,

why am i not able to see complete darkness when i look at the light source from the end of the polarizers, but rather the light source changes to a different color

for example, if i have a blue light source, i see it become dark blue, but never really black.

so is there a reason? theoretically i am suppose to kill 100% of the light right?

thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
The polarizers are imperfect.

so its a fault on the experiment apparatus?

Yes. Perfect polarizers are in the same category as frictionless surfaces.

You might suggest to the http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/ideal/ideal.htm that they add perfect polarizers to their catalog. :smile:

haha ok thanks!

What is complete annihilation of light through polarizers?

Complete annihilation of light through polarizers refers to the phenomenon where light is completely blocked or absorbed by polarizing filters, leaving behind a dark or black appearance. This occurs when the orientation of the polarizers is perpendicular to each other.

How do polarizers work?

Polarizers work by allowing only light waves that are vibrating in a certain direction to pass through. They have microscopic slits that only allow light waves with a specific orientation to pass through, while blocking all other orientations. When two polarizers with perpendicular orientations are placed together, the light is completely blocked, resulting in complete annihilation of light.

What is the purpose of using polarizers?

Polarizers are often used in various applications such as photography, sunglasses, and LCD screens to reduce glare and reflections. They can also be used in experiments to study the properties of light and its behavior when passing through different materials.

Can polarizers completely eliminate all light?

Yes, when two polarizers with perpendicular orientations are placed together, they can completely eliminate all light passing through them. This is known as complete annihilation of light.

Are there any exceptions to the complete annihilation of light through polarizers?

Yes, there are some exceptions to this phenomenon. For example, if the light source emits unpolarized light, meaning the light waves have random orientations, then complete annihilation of light cannot occur. Additionally, some materials, such as certain crystals, can cause the polarization of light to change as it passes through, resulting in some light passing through even when two polarizers are perpendicular to each other.