Complete screening of an Electric field?

In summary: Thank you.In summary, electric field screening occurs when an externally applied electric field is reduced as much as possible. This reduces the electric fields around a material, protecting it from external shocks.
RoseSunflower
Hi,
I have difficulty understanding the term screening.
Screening is reducing of the electric field, as far as I have understood until now.

1. Why does screening occurs? Is it due to collective interaction of plasmons?
2. If we have a slow electric field, will screening occur or will it not occur? Same question for fields that varies a lot.
3. If the electric field is reduced as much as possible, does that means that screening = 0 and that it is complete?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
RoseSunflower said:
Hi,
I have difficulty understanding the term screening.
Screening is reducing of the electric field, as far as I have understood until now.

1. Why does screening occurs? Is it due to collective interaction of plasmons?
2. If we have a slow electric field, will screening occur or will it not occur? Same question for fields that varies a lot.
3. If the electric field is reduced as much as possible, does that means that screening = 0 and that it is complete?

Thank you.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Do you mean Electric field shielding, like with a Faraday Cage? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Thank you :)
No, actually I am looking at electric field screening for solids (metals). I read Wikipedias page about it but I still don't get it.

If you make a hollow inside a metal block and sit inside it, you are shielded from any electric fields outside. For a static electric filed, the screening is complete.

Chandra Prayaga said:
If you make a hollow inside a metal block and sit inside it, you are shielded from any electric fields outside. For a static electric filed, the screening is complete.
Could you answer my questions as in 1, 2 and 3? I don't understand where the hollow comes from. And when the screening is complete.

OK. We may be talking of totally different things. Could you please desctibe what you mean by the word "screening?". Perhaps if you could give us the reference to the Wikipedia pages you have read, we could get the context.

Chandra Prayaga said:
OK. We may be talking of totally different things. Could you please desctibe what you mean by the word "screening?". Perhaps if you could give us the reference to the Wikipedia pages you have read, we could get the context.
I am looking at electric field screening for solids (metals). Thomas-Fermi screening. I don't know if its the same or two different things though...

Thanks. This is a topic on which I have no views.

No, plasmons are something else, this deals primarily with, e.g., the free electron gas in a metal. An externally applied electric field causes electrons to move around in such a way as to minimize the energy in the bulk. The configuration of electron density is such that the externally applied field becomes negated on the other side of this layer. An analogous thing happens to a charge that is introduced into the solid. A change of density in a spherical layer forms to counteract it. These are the screening effect that you are referring to.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of complete screening of an Electric field?

The purpose of complete screening of an Electric field is to neutralize or reduce the strength of an electric field by placing a conducting material between the source of the electric field and the desired location. This helps to protect sensitive equipment or individuals from the effects of the electric field.

2. How is complete screening of an Electric field achieved?

Complete screening of an Electric field is achieved by using a conducting material, such as metal, to create a barrier between the source of the electric field and the desired location. The conducting material absorbs and redistributes the electric field, reducing its strength.

3. What factors affect the effectiveness of complete screening of an Electric field?

The effectiveness of complete screening of an Electric field depends on several factors including the type and strength of the electric field, the conductivity of the screening material, and the distance between the source of the electric field and the desired location.

4. What are the potential hazards of electric fields that require complete screening?

Electric fields can pose several hazards, including electric shock, interference with electronic devices, and damage to sensitive equipment. Complete screening helps to minimize these hazards by reducing the strength of the electric field.

5. Are there any limitations to complete screening of an Electric field?

Complete screening of an Electric field may not be effective in all situations. For example, if the electric field is too strong or the distance between the source and desired location is too small, complete screening may not be able to fully neutralize the electric field. Additionally, some materials may not be suitable for complete screening due to their low conductivity.