1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Completing a Bachelors degree without a laptop?

1. Nov 9, 2017 #1
    Hello PF,

Im going through some financial difficulties and i need some money, i have a gaming laptop that i can sell and that would help me greatly. Ive been considering buying a 10 inch tablet and save the rest of the money...
    Has anyone done this? going through a bachelors degree using just a tablet?(plus no pc is a plus for stduying bc there is only ethernet connection in the dorm so not so many distractions and i can use a hotspot from my phone for using the internet for studying but not for just bullshitting around bc i have limited data volume)
    Can you write a thesis with just a tablet(with those attachable keyboards) or is it a pain in the a**?

Thank you in advance.

ps: how comfortable or uncomfortable is to read a pdf from a tablet?
    pss: im already working so working is not an option. im pretty overwhelmed already trying to handle everything
    psss: im in the 5th semester. idk if this info might help

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2017 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You do realize what part of the year this is, and you should expect to find some great retail deals on a few "laptop" computers to effectively be priced at less than 400 dollars, maybe as low as 300 dollars. Most likely brands would be Dell, HP, Lenovo.

4. Nov 9, 2017 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

This might depend on which country you're in...

5. Nov 9, 2017 #4
    Schools and profs vary in how computer intensive their courses are. They also vary in availability of computer resources the school provides. Most schools I know in the US Have computer "labs" - rooms full of computers that students may use. In these schools, it takes some care and scheduling, but most or all work students need to do on a computer can be done in these labs.

In most cases, students with campus jobs may also be provided with a computer in their work area, and if they ask these computers will be allowed to be used for school work.

6. Nov 12, 2017 #5
    If you are in your 5th semester then you know your computer requirements more than we do.

While studying physics, you will want tools like mathematica, python and matlab/octave..etc to help with homework and to investigate course content. Latex is also needed to typeset assignments. The easiest way to do all this is with a laptop that you have installed Linux on. The alternative is to use online tools like cocalc. The problem with tablets is that they do not run a full desktop browser or operating system, which may make it impossible to run the tools you want.

I would spend the tablet money on a cheap laptop with 8gb ram and an i5 processor, then install Ubuntu Linux. Reading from a tablet is similar to reading from a laptop - I also absorb information better when printed. Linux will also help boost your computer skills.

7. Nov 13, 2017 #6
    Like others have said, the price of a good tablet is about the same as the price of an OK laptop. I found my laptop for $120 on black friday, and I keep it on campus for me to work on there. You'll be better off with a laptop, in my opinion.

8. Nov 13, 2017 #7

donpacino

Gold Member

How old is the gaming laptop?
    Will you actually receive any money for it?

If you bought it for 1200 2 years ago, it'll be worth 400 now.

9. Nov 13, 2017 #8

DS2C

Gold Member

Also consider other library resources. At my university you can rent a laptop. Its for a short period of time, but you could just carry a flash drive and pick up on a different laptop each time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted