1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer Engineering Degree without an undergrad?

1. Feb 25, 2013 #1
    Hello again PF.

Is it possible/are there stories of people who have pursued a Computer Engineering degree without a Computer Engineering undegrad?

It's because the undegrad hasn't been what I was waiting for, however I am really interested in computer engineering masters, phds, etc.

I am thinking about switching to another engineering, probably Industrial Engineering; but I do plan to keep making software development proyects.

Thanks for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2013 #2
    It's more about having the prerequisite coursework. Each school is different, but in addition to listing basic admissions requirements, many programs will list the specific courses you're expected to have taken *or* have equivalent knowledge to.

4. Feb 26, 2013 #3
    People do it all the time. You might have to take remedial courses which will make the degree take a bit longer. You will also need to overcome the admissions barrier of "Why should we admit you over someone with more relevant coursework?"

5. Feb 28, 2013 #4
    OK Thanks.

Other than learn the topics of interest by myself and have several web-business projects as long-term projects, what else would you recommend (I'm only 18 right now, I can plan ahead lots of things) to overcome that barrier?

6. Feb 28, 2013 #5
    OK, so you're not in college yet. One thing you will learn is that Universities, for good or for bad, are very bureaucratic places. It doesn't matter one bit to *most* Universities if you know the material or not, they need to tick their different boxes so you "fulfill the requirement". There are exceptions to this, but not many. This means you will have to take the courses even if you know the material.

As an example, I minored in Statistics as part of my Ph.D. In my EE coursework I tooka pretty extensive stats courses. But the Statistics dept. made me take an intro stats class before I could take grad-level statistics since I didn't take *their* stats course. I crushed the course but it still took time. A bit of a waste.

The point of all this is try to take the Computer Engineering courses you will need while you're a undergrad. If your college requires you to be a Comp. Engr major to take them, then either major in it or Double Major. There was a guy in my EE dept during undergrad who double majored in Physics. It took him two only extra quarters to graduate... not bad.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook