1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earning a second bachelors degree after already having a bachelors degree

1. Jun 6, 2012 #1
    If someone were to already have a bachelors degree, and then wanted to pursue a second bachelors degree, how much credit of the first bachelors degree would count towards a second?

The reason I ask is because a bachelors degree includes a lot of general eds and common prerequisites that should not be repeated to get a second degree.

Has anyone done this before, or does anyone know the possibilities of this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2012 #2
    I will be a little more specific. If I have a bachelors in electrical engineering, and would like to do part time school, could I reuse some of my course credits from my bachelors in EE and transfer them towards a bachelors in chemistry?

4. Jun 7, 2012 #3
    If you are doing this at the same institution, it should just be meeting the additional course requirements. If a new institution, they may limit the transfer hours they will take. Just need to ask.

5. Jun 7, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Much of that can be "negotiated" with the new department before you register. Just be sure to get it in writing!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook