Earning a second bachelors degree after already having a bachelors degree

In summary, if someone already has a bachelors degree and wants to pursue a second one, they may be able to transfer some credits depending on the institution and program. It is important to confirm with the new department beforehand and get any agreements in writing to avoid repeating courses unnecessarily.
DragonPetter
If someone were to already have a bachelors degree, and then wanted to pursue a second bachelors degree, how much credit of the first bachelors degree would count towards a second?

The reason I ask is because a bachelors degree includes a lot of general eds and common prerequisites that should not be repeated to get a second degree.

Has anyone done this before, or does anyone know the possibilities of this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I will be a little more specific. If I have a bachelors in electrical engineering, and would like to do part time school, could I reuse some of my course credits from my bachelors in EE and transfer them towards a bachelors in chemistry?

DragonPetter said:
If someone were to already have a bachelors degree, and then wanted to pursue a second bachelors degree, how much credit of the first bachelors degree would count towards a second?

The reason I ask is because a bachelors degree includes a lot of general eds and common prerequisites that should not be repeated to get a second degree.

Has anyone done this before, or does anyone know the possibilities of this?

If you are doing this at the same institution, it should just be meeting the additional course requirements. If a new institution, they may limit the transfer hours they will take. Just need to ask.

Much of that can be "negotiated" with the new department before you register. Just be sure to get it in writing!

I can understand the desire to further one's education and expand their knowledge through obtaining a second bachelors degree. In regards to how much credit from the first degree would count towards the second, it ultimately depends on the specific requirements and curriculum of the second degree program. Some universities may allow for transfer of credits from the first degree, while others may not. It is important to carefully review the requirements of the second degree program and consult with academic advisors to determine the potential transfer of credits.

In terms of repeating general education courses and prerequisites, it is possible that some may not need to be repeated if they align with the requirements of the second degree program. However, this will also depend on the specific courses and their relevance to the second degree. It is important to note that obtaining a second bachelors degree may not necessarily require repeating all courses from the first degree, as the focus may be on completing the specific requirements of the second degree.

To answer the question of whether anyone has done this before, the answer is yes. Many individuals have pursued a second bachelors degree after already obtaining one. However, the possibilities and requirements may vary depending on the individual's previous degree and the program they wish to pursue. It is best to consult with academic advisors and the admissions office of the university to determine the specific possibilities and requirements for obtaining a second bachelors degree.

1. Can I earn a second bachelors degree after already having a bachelors degree?

Yes, it is possible to earn a second bachelors degree after already having a bachelors degree. Many universities offer programs specifically designed for individuals who have already completed a bachelors degree.

2. How long does it take to earn a second bachelors degree?

The length of time it takes to earn a second bachelors degree can vary depending on the program and the individual's course load. On average, it takes 2-3 years to complete a second bachelors degree.

3. Can I transfer credits from my first bachelors degree towards my second bachelors degree?

It is possible to transfer credits from your first bachelors degree towards your second bachelors degree. However, this depends on the specific program and university's policies. It is best to consult with an academic advisor for more information.

4. Are there any limitations on what subjects I can study for a second bachelors degree?

There may be limitations on what subjects you can study for a second bachelors degree, as some universities may not offer certain programs for individuals who already have a bachelors degree in that field. It is important to research and find a university that offers the program you are interested in pursuing.

5. Will earning a second bachelors degree improve my career prospects?

Earning a second bachelors degree can improve your career prospects, as it shows dedication and commitment to your field of study. It can also provide you with additional knowledge and skills that may make you a more competitive job candidate. However, it is important to research the job market and determine if a second bachelors degree is necessary for your desired career path.