Complex Analysis (Argument Principle to determine location of roots)

In summary, using the Argument Principle, it can be shown that the function f(z) = 2z^4 + 2z^3 + z^2 + 8z + 1 has exactly one zero in the open first quadrant. This can be proven by considering a quarter-circle in the first quadrant and finding the winding number about f(z) = 0 of this curve.
curtdbz

Homework Statement

With [tex]f(z) = 2z^{4} +2z^{3} +z^{2} +8z +1[/tex]

Show that [tex]f[/tex] has exactly one zero in the open first quadrant.

Homework Equations

Argument Principle

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I'm supposed to use the Argument Principle.. So far, all I can do is show something like, in the unit disc there exists ONE zero (by Rouche's Theorem, using function [tex]8z+1[/tex] as my upper bound.

However, showing something in a specific Quadrant is proving to be more difficult. I thought about using the same function [tex]g(z) = 8z+1[/tex] and to say that since [tex]|f(z) - g(z)| \leq |g(z)|[/tex] in that quadrant, then it is proved but obviously that's not rigorous.

So I tried defining [tex]h(z) = f(z) - g(z) = 2z^{4} +2z^{3} +z^{2}[/tex] and define the set [tex]Q = { z = x+iy : x,y>0 } [/tex] and say that for sufficiently large [tex]|z|, z \in Q [/tex] we have that [tex]|g(z)|/|h(z)| \leq 1[/tex] since the LHS in fact equals zero, since it grows faster.

I'm pretty sure that's not good enough.. And I'm not utilizing the Argument Principle, can someone help? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Woo, another theorem in complex analysis that we apparently proved but did not use. Can you just consider the quarter-circle in the first quadrant of arbitrary radius R > 0 (so the real axis from 0 to R, then Re^(it) for t between 0 and pi/2, and then come down the imaginary axis from Ri to 0)? Then finding the winding number about f(z) = 0 of this curve might work.

1. What is the Argument Principle in Complex Analysis?

The Argument Principle is a theorem in complex analysis that relates the number of zeros of a complex-valued function to the number of times the function's argument (or angle) winds around the origin in the complex plane.

2. How is the Argument Principle used to determine the location of roots?

The Argument Principle can be used to determine the number of zeros of a complex-valued function within a given contour in the complex plane. By calculating the total change in argument of the function around the contour, the number of zeros within the contour can be determined.

3. Can the Argument Principle be used to locate non-real roots?

Yes, the Argument Principle can be used to locate both real and non-real roots. The principle is based on the behavior of the function's argument, which is defined for both real and complex numbers.

4. What is the relationship between the Argument Principle and the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is a powerful tool for evaluating complex integrals. The Argument Principle is closely related to this formula, as it can be used to simplify the calculation of complex integrals by reducing them to simpler expressions based on the number of zeros within a contour.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Argument Principle to determine the location of roots?

One limitation of the Argument Principle is that it only applies to functions that are analytic within the contour being considered. This means that the function must have a well-defined derivative at all points within the contour. Additionally, the contour chosen must not contain any singularities of the function, as this can affect the total change in argument and lead to incorrect results.