1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis: brach of the square root

1. Nov 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]f[/itex] be a quadratic polynomial function of [itex]z[/itex] with two different roots [itex]z_1[/itex] and [itex]z_2[/itex]. Given that a branch [itex]z[/itex] of the square root of [itex]f[/itex] exists in a domain [itex]D[/itex], demonstrate that neither [itex]z_1[/itex] nor [itex]z_2[/itex] can belong to [itex]D[/itex]. If [itex]f[/itex] had a double root, would the analogous statement be true?

2. Relevant equations
    We say that a branch [itex]g(z)[/itex] of the [itex]p^{th}[/itex] root of [itex]z[/itex] exists on [itex]D[/itex] if [itex]g(z)[/itex] is continuous and [itex]g(z)^{p}=z[/itex] for every [itex]z \in D[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am really not sure at all how to begin this proof. I would appreciate a nudge to get started. Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2011 #2
    Use
    Code (Text):
    "[itex]1+1=2[/itex]"
    instead of
    Code (Text):
    "[tex]1+1=2[/tex]"

4. Nov 29, 2011 #3
    Thanks; I wondered what was up with that...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook