Contour Integration - my solution for real integral is complex?

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of a complex integral using the residue theorem, but the solution provided is incorrect. The suggested methodology for solving difficult problems is to numerically check each step in the solution until the error is found and corrected.
IchiCC

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral

[itex]
I=\int^\pi_{-\pi} \frac{\,d\theta}{a+b\cos\theta+c\sin\theta}
[/itex]

where [itex]a[/itex], [itex]b[/itex], [itex]c[/itex] are real positive constants such that [itex]a^2>b^2+c^2>0[/itex]

Homework Equations

Residue theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Consider the complex function

[itex]f(z)=\frac{1}{az+\frac{1}{2}b(z^2+1)+\frac{1}{2i}c(z^2-1)}[/itex]

This has simple poles when denominator equals zero, i.e. at [itex]z=z_1[/itex] and [itex]z=z_2[/itex], where

[itex]z_1=\frac{-a+\sqrt{a^2-(b^2+c^2)}}{b-ic}[/itex] and [itex]z_2=\frac{-a-\sqrt{a^2-(b^2+c^2)}}{b-ic}[/itex]

by the quadratic formula. See that [itex]|z_2|>|z_1|\,\,\,\,\,\,(*)[/itex].

Note that
[itex]|z_1||z_2|=|z_1 z_2|=\left|\frac{b^2+c^2}{(b-ic)^2}\right|=1[/itex]

Referring back to [itex](*)[/itex] we see that [itex]|z_1|<1[/itex] and [itex]|z_2|>1[/itex].

[itex]\text{Res}[f(z), z_1]=lim_{z\to z_1}[(z-z_1)f(z)]=\frac{1}{z_1-z_2}=\frac{b-ic}{2 \sqrt{a^2-b^2-c^2}}[/itex]

Since [itex]z_1[/itex] is the only pole enclosed by the contour [itex]|z|=1[/itex], by the residue theorem:

[itex]\oint_{|z|=1}f(z)dz=2\pi i \text{Res}[f(z), z_1]\,\,\,\,\,\,(**)[/itex]

Along the contour [itex]|z|=1[/itex], we can write
[itex]z=e^{i\theta}[/itex]
[itex]dz=ie^{i\theta}d\theta[/itex] with [itex]\theta[/itex] in [itex][-\pi,\pi][/itex]

Then

[itex]\oint_{|z|=1}f(z)dz=\int^\pi_{-\pi}\frac{ie^{i\theta}}{ae^{i\theta}+\frac{1}{2}b(e^{2i\theta}+1)+\frac{1}{2i}c(e^{2i\theta}-1)}d\theta=i\int^\pi_{-\pi}\frac{1}{a+\frac{1}{2}b(e^{i\theta}+e^{-i\theta})+\frac{1}{2i}c(e^{i\theta}-e^{-i\theta})}d\theta=iI[/itex]

Returning to [itex](**)[/itex], we see that

[itex]I=2\pi\text{Res}[f(z), z_1]=\frac{b-ic}{\sqrt{a^2-b^2-c^2}}\pi[/itex]

4. Comments

This is clearly wrong since I can't have a complex solution to the real integral given, yet I've gone through my working countless times now and just can't spot my mistake... Maybe I'm just tired. Help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I can describe a methodology for you because if you continue in math, one day nobody in the entire world will be able to help you and you'll have to go by yourself: whenever you're confronted with a problem that you try and try to solve and can't get it right, one option is to numerically check each step before you go to the next one. So you have:

[tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \frac{dt}{a+b\cos(t)+c\sin(t)},\quad a^2>b^2+c^2>0[/tex]

Now just let say b=1, c=2, and a=6 and obtain the exact or numerical answer but still continue to solve it in terms of a, b, and c. So we let [itex]z=e^{it}[/itex] and get:

[tex]\oint \frac{-i dz}{z}\frac{1}{a+\frac{b}{2z}(z^2+1)+\frac{c}{2iz}(z^2-1)}[/tex]

Ok, just that one step. Let's numerically check the results. Not hard in mathematica:

NIntegrate[(f[z]ie^{it})/.z->e^{it},{t,0,2\pi}]

That might look like gibberish to you if you don't use Mathematica but you get the idea: If that result does not agree with the initial answer, you have made an error in your arithemetic so do not go a step further until they agree. Ok, we get that step. Now do another step and again check it numerically and continue that way step by step until to get to the end. I guarantee if you do that, you'll find your error and in the process, learn how to walk alone.

1. What is contour integration?

Contour integration is a mathematical technique used to evaluate complex integrals by deforming the original path of integration to a new contour that is easier to evaluate.

2. Why is contour integration useful?

Contour integration allows us to evaluate integrals that are difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It also provides a way to analytically continue functions into the complex plane.

3. How does contour integration work?

Contour integration uses the Cauchy Integral Theorem and the Cauchy Integral Formula to evaluate complex integrals. The original path of integration is deformed into a new contour, and the integral is then evaluated using the residue theorem.

4. What is the role of complex numbers in contour integration?

Complex numbers are crucial in contour integration because they allow us to evaluate integrals over complex functions. The use of complex numbers also allows us to take advantage of the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are used to find the residues of the function being integrated.

5. Are there any limitations to contour integration?

While contour integration is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be used to evaluate integrals over analytic functions, and the contour chosen must be carefully selected to ensure the integral converges. Additionally, the technique may not always yield an exact solution and may require further approximation methods.