1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis: Is my proof of an easy theorem correct?

1. Nov 13, 2013 #1
    Theorem: If a function f(z) has a zero of nth order at z0, then the function h(z)/f(z) has a pole of order n at z0 (where h(z) is analytic at ##z_0##).

Can somebody explain this theorem for me? It isn't proved in my book because it's so "easy", but I don't get it? Is the sketch of the proof something like this?

f(z) has a taylor expansion around z0 which begins on the nth term (since ##f^{(1)}(z_0),f^{(2)}(z_0),....,f^{(n-1)}(z_0) = 0##, and thus when you find the taylor expansion of f(z), you divide 1 by said taylor series to gain the expansion of 1/f(z). After splitting up the expansion of 1/f(z) into several different fractions (with the help of some fancy algebra), you will gain a laurent series of order n.

But how do I get to the last part? I am completely confused right now..

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should also specify that h(z) is nonzero at z0. If f(z) has a zero of nth order at z0, then you can write it as f(z)=(z-z0)^n*g(z) where g(z) is analytic and nonzero at z0. Does that make it clearer?

4. Nov 13, 2013 #3
    Damn, of course!! Thanks now I understand the theorem.

Since g(z) is analytic and nonzero, it can be expanded as a taylor series, and thus the largest order negative polynomial possible in the total series is n!!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted