1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A: Reciprocal series, B: Laurent Series and Cauchy's Formula

1. Jan 13, 2016 #1
    Problem A now solved!

Problem B:
    I am working with two equations:

The first gives me the coefficients for the Laurent Series expansion of a complex function, which is:

[itex] f(z) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty a_n(z-z_0)^n [/itex]

This first equation for the coefficients is:

[itex] a_n = \frac{1}{2πi} \oint \frac{f(z)}{(z-z_0)^{n+1}} \, dz [/itex]

The second equation is Cauchy's Integral formula for the nth derivative of a complex function:

[itex] f^{(n)}(z_0) = \frac{n!}{2πi} \oint \frac{f(z)}{(z-z_0)^{n+1}} \, dz [/itex]

My problem is as follows:

We can clearly re-arrange these two equations to get the following expression:

[itex] a_n = \frac{f^{(n)}(z_0)}{n!} [/itex]

Now, in this instance, [itex] f(z) = \frac{z^3 + 2z^2 + 4}{(z-1)^3} [/itex].

If we try to calculate [itex] a_n [/itex] for this function, it keeps getting sent to zero, due to the function being evaluated at [itex] z_0 [/itex]!

What am I missing? Where have I gone wrong in this derivation/problem?

Ultimately in this problem I'm trying to find the Laurent Series expansion of the function.

Any help/tips would be much appreciated!

sinkersub

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You first take the derivative, then plug in a fixed z0. In general, the result should not be zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted