Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex analysis of electrostatic problem

1. Jul 23, 2008 #1
    I'm not sure whether to post this in the Mathematics or Physics forums, but I figure this problem is easily reduced to its transformation irrespective of the physics it describes.

Consider a semi-infinite sheet of (infinitely thin) conductor charged to a potential [tex]V[/tex]. It is placed at a distance [tex]h[/tex] perpendicular to a perfectly screening bulk conductor (so the electric field is always perpendicular to the surface). See the attachment below. I want to investigate the charge density on the surface of both sheets. I'm struggling to determine the transformation that can describe the electrostatic field.

graphene1.jpg

Now, I have calculated a similar problem with a semi-infinite conducting plane paralell to an infinite conducting plane at a distance [tex]h[/tex]

graphene2.jpg

I have transformed it into the upper half-plane (so it looks like a capacitor), and I found the transformation
    [tex]
    z = h \left( \frac{w}{V} - \frac{1}{\pi} \left(1+ e^{-\frac{\pi w}{V}} \right) \right)
    [/tex]
    determines this electrostatic field. How can I transform my problem with perpendicular planes into something similar? Can I use this result, with another transformation? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2008 #2
    You should have posted this in the Physics boards, because not all the Math students are familiar with electrostatic concepts (sigh).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?