1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Submanifold diffeomorphic to sphere

1. Jun 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the map ##\phi: \mathbb{R}^4 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2## defined by ##\phi(x,y,s,t) = (x^2 + y, x^2 + y^2 + s^2 + t^2 + y)##.

Show that ##(0,1)## is a regular value of ##\phi##, and that the level set ##\phi^{-1}(0,1)## is diffeomorphic to ##\mathbb{S}^2##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I get two equations describing the level set:

(1) ##x^2 + y = 0 \implies y = -x^2##
    (2) ##x^2 + y^2 + s^2 + t^2 + y = 1 \implies y^2 + s^2 + t^2 = 1##

So ##\phi^{-1}(0,1) = \{(x,y,s,t) \in \mathbb{R}^4: y = -x^2 \hspace{0.1cm} \mathrm{ and } \hspace{0.1cm} y^2 + s^2 + t^2 = 1\}##.

I need to show that ##d\phi(x,y,s,t)## is surjective for all ##(x,y,s,t) \in \phi^{-1}(0,1)##. I calculate:

##d\phi(x,y,s,t) = \begin{pmatrix} 2x & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 2x & 2y + 1 & 2s & 2t \end{pmatrix}##

It is easy to show that this matrix has rank ##2## for all ##(x,y,s,t) \in \phi^{-1}(0,1)## and so ##\phi^{-1}(0,1)## is an embedded submanifold of ##\mathbb{R}^4##. Quick question: Did I calculate the differential properly?

Now, I need to show that this level set is diffeomorphic to the unit sphere. I can kind of see that it may be diffeomorphic to a spheroid, and I know I can show that the spheroid is diffeomorphic to the sphere. My only problem is coming up with this diffeomorphism from the level set onto the spheroid.

I imagine I can define a map ##\psi: \phi^{-1}(0,1) \rightarrow S## by ##\psi(x,y,s,t) = (x,s,t)##, where ##S = \psi(\phi^{-1}(0,1))##. It is easy to see that this map is invertible and its inverse is given by ##\psi^{-1}(x,s,t) = (x, -x^2, s, t)## since ##y = -x^2##. My only trouble is showing that these maps are both smooth. Both the domain and codomain are submanifolds of ##\mathbb{R}^4## and ##\mathbb{R}^3##, respectively, so I need to express ##\psi## in appropriate local coordinates before differentiating, but coming up with these local coordinates seems like I am making things overly complicated. What would you suggest I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2017 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think if we instead set ##\psi(x,y,s,t)=(y\ \mathrm{sign}(x),s,t)## we would have ##S## a perfect sphere, rather than just a spheroid.

I can't see a way of avoiding local coordinates. Perhaps there's a theorem that can be used to shortcut it, but none pops to mind.

Coordinate maps to use might be:
    for ##S##:
    ##\ (y,s,t)\mapsto (s,t)##, with inverse map ##(s,t)\mapsto (\pm\sqrt{1-s^2-t^2},s,t)##, if ##s^2+t^2\leq 0.9## (two disjoint coordinate patches), otherwise:
    ##(y,s,t)\mapsto (y,s)##, with inverse map ##(y,s)\mapsto (y,s,\pm\sqrt{1-s^2-y^2})##, if ##y^2+s^2\leq 0.9## (two disjoint coordinate patches), otherwise:
    ##(y,s,t)\mapsto (y,t)##, with inverse map ##(y,t)\mapsto (y,\pm\sqrt{1-y^2-t^2},t)##, (two disjoint coordinate patches)
    where the ##\pm## has a different sign for each of the two patches in a pair.

and for the level set:
    ##\ (x,y,s,t)\mapsto (s,t)##, with inverse map ##(s,t)\mapsto (\pm(1-s^2-t^2)^\frac14,-\sqrt{1-s^2-t^2},s,t)##, if ##s^2+t^2\leq 0.9## (two disjoint coordinate patches), otherwise:
    ##(x,y,s,t)\mapsto (x,s)##, with inverse map ##(x,s)\mapsto (x,-x^2,s,\pm\sqrt{1-s^2-x^4})##, if ##y^2+s^2\leq 0.9## (two disjoint coordinate patches), otherwise:
    ##(x,y,s,t)\mapsto (x,t)##, with inverse map ##(x,t)\mapsto ((x,-x^2,\pm\sqrt{1-x^4-t^2},t)##.

4. Jun 11, 2017 #3
    I can solve it like this:

I will keep ##\psi## defined how it is in the original post. Let ##M = \phi^{-1}(0,1)##. I've already proven that ##M## is a submanifold and so the inclusion map ##\iota_M: M \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^4## is smooth. The projection map ##\pi: \mathbb{R}^4 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^3## given by ##\pi(x,y,s,t) = (x,s,t)## is smooth. Because ##\psi = \pi \circ \iota_M##, then ##\psi## is smooth.

We can prove the smoothness of ##\psi^{-1}## in a similar manner: Let ##\iota_S: S \hookrightarrow \mathbb{R}^3## be an inclusion map - it is smooth as ##S## is an embedded submanifold of ##\mathbb{R}^3##. Let ##\iota: \mathbb{R}^3 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^4## be an inclusion map - it too is smooth. And finally let ##F: \mathbb{R}^4 \rightarrow M## be given by ##F(x,y,s,t) = (x,-x^2,s,t)##, which is obviously smooth. Then ##\psi^{-1} = F \circ \iota \circ \iota_S## is the composition of smooth maps and hence also smooth.

Note: I know that ##S## is a submanifold of ##\mathbb{R}^3##, and hence ##\iota_S## is smooth, because ##S## is diffeomorphic to ##\mathbb{S}^2## (constructing a diffeomorphism is very easy).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted