1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex conjugation equality problem

1. Apr 12, 2006 #1
    :rolleyes: let be the equality where "*" is complex conjugation....z=a+ib but z*=a-ib with a and b real, then:

[tex] \int_{0}^{c}dxf(x)g(x)=\int_{0}^{c}dxf(x)[g(x)]* [/tex]

with c a real number then my question is if the equality above implies necessarily that:

[tex] g(x)=[g(x)]* [/tex] so g is real where:

-f(x)>0 or 0 on the interval (0,c) and f is a real-valued function.
    -c is an arbitrary and positive real number.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Let [tex]g(x)=u(x)+iv(x)[/tex] so that [tex][g(x)]*=u(x)-iv(x)[/tex]. The equality then becomes

[tex] \int_{0}^{c}f(x)(u(x)+iv(x)) dx=\int_{0}^{c}f(x)(u(x)-iv(x)) dx \\ \Rightarrow \int_{0}^{c}f(x)u(x) dx+i\int_{0}^{c}f(x)v(x) dx = \int_{0}^{c}f(x)u(x) dx-i\int_{0}^{c}f(x)v(x) dx \Rightarrow i\int_{0}^{c}f(x)v(x) dx = -i\int_{0}^{c}f(x)v(x) dx \Rightarrow 2i\int_{0}^{c}f(x)v(x) dx=0[/tex]

so we require that [tex]\int_{0}^{c}f(x)v(x) dx=0[/tex] for said equality to hold, in terms of g(x) this is [tex]\int_{0}^{c}f(x)\Im [g(x)] dx=0[/tex]

which could hold for any number of different functions f and g.
  4. Apr 12, 2006 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As stated it is exceptionally trivial to find counter examples and benorin was being far to rigorous in proving something here. g=0 for all but some finite number of points where it is i will do. And you wonder why people don't trust your non-rigorous 'proofs'?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?