Complex Convergence with Usual Norm

In summary, the sequence {xn} converges in ℂ under the usual norm, with the real and imaginary parts both converging to 0 as n approaches infinity. This can be shown using l'Hôpital's rule and the Taylor series for exp(2πi/n).
ChemEng1

Homework Statement

Determine whether the following sequence {xn} converges in ℂunder the usual norm.
[itex]x_{n}=n(e^{\frac{2i\pi}{n}}-1)[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]e^{i\pi}=cos(x)+isin(x)[/itex]
ε, [itex]\delta[/itex] Definition of convergence

The Attempt at a Solution

I would like some verification that this response answers the problem statement. I have not worked with complex numbers since high school algebra. So this attempt may be very wrong.

The professor stated that for complex number to converge, both the real and imaginary parts have to converge.

[itex]x_{n}=n(cos(\frac{2\pi}{n})+isin(\frac{2\pi}{n})-1)[/itex], by substitution with Euler's formula.

[itex]x_{n}=ncos(\frac{2\pi}{n})-n+isin(\frac{2\pi}{n})n[/itex]. This appears to converge to 0+0i as n→∞.

Real Part:[itex]Re(x_{n})=ncos(\frac{2\pi}{n})-n=>n(cos(\frac{2\pi}{n})-1)=>n*0=0[/itex]

Imaginary Part:[itex]Im(x_{n})=sin(\frac{2\pi}{n})n=>0*n=0[/itex]

Since both the real and imaginary parts of [itex]x_{n}[/itex] converge, then [itex]x_{n}[/itex] converges.

Is this close? Did I miss anything?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is that n is going to infinity at the same time as (cos(2*pi/n) - 1) and sin(2*pi/n) are going to zero. So you get something that looks like infinity * 0, an indeterminate form. This means that the sequence could either converge or diverge. You have to do a bit more work to find out which is the case.

Let's start with the imaginary part. You have sin(2*pi/n) * n. Multiplication by n is the same as division by 1/n. What can you say about

[tex]\frac{\sin(2\pi/n)}{1/n}[/tex]

as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex]?

jbunniii said:
So you get something that looks like infinity * 0, an indeterminate form.
In a l'Hôpital's rule sense? We honestly did not cover that in my previous analysis course (so I don't remember any of the rigor behind the rule), but I remember from calculus that you take derivative of numerator and denominator until you no longer have an indeterminate form.

jbunniii said:
What can you say about

[tex]\frac{\sin(2\pi/n)}{1/n}[/tex]

as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex]?

[itex]\frac{d[sin(\frac{2\pi}{n})]}{d[\frac{1}{n}]}\Rightarrow\frac{cos(\frac{2\pi}{n})(-\frac{2\pi}{n^{2}})}{-\frac{1}{n^{2}}}\Rightarrow2\pi cos(\frac{2\pi}{n})\Rightarrow 2\pi[/itex]

Then you repeat the same approach for the real portion which has a similar indeterminate form. And goes to 0.

So {xn} converges to [itex]2i\pi[/itex] then?

Last edited:
ChemEng1 said:
In a l'Hôpital's rule sense? We honestly did not cover that in my previous analysis course (so I don't remember any of the rigor behind the rule), but I remember from calculus that you take derivative of numerator and denominator until you no longer have an indeterminate form.

[itex]\frac{d[sin(\frac{2\pi}{n})]}{d[\frac{1}{n}]}\Rightarrow\frac{cos(\frac{2\pi}{n})(-\frac{2\pi}{n^{2}})}{-\frac{1}{n^{2}}}\Rightarrow2\pi cos(\frac{2\pi}{n})\Rightarrow 2\pi[/itex]

Then you repeat the same approach for the real portion which has a similar indeterminate form. And goes to 0.

So {xn} converges to [itex]2i\pi[/itex] then?

Yes, it does. You guess this would be true using the taylor series of exp(2*pi*i/n).

Thank you both for pointing me in the right direction!

1. What is "Complex Convergence with Usual Norm"?

"Complex Convergence with Usual Norm" refers to a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of complex numbers when approaching a limit. It states that the limit of a sequence of complex numbers can be found by taking the limit of both the real and imaginary parts separately using the usual convergence criteria.

2. How is "Complex Convergence with Usual Norm" different from "Real Convergence"?

The main difference between "Complex Convergence with Usual Norm" and "Real Convergence" is that the former considers both the real and imaginary parts of a complex number, while the latter only considers the real part. This means that "Complex Convergence with Usual Norm" provides a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of complex numbers near a limit.

3. What are some examples of "Complex Convergence with Usual Norm"?

An example of "Complex Convergence with Usual Norm" is the sequence of complex numbers (1+3i), (2+4i), (3+5i), ... As the real part approaches 1 and the imaginary part approaches 3, the sequence will converge to (1+3i). Another example is the sequence (i/n) where n is a positive integer. As n approaches infinity, both the real and imaginary parts approach 0, resulting in a limit of 0.

4. What is the significance of "Complex Convergence with Usual Norm"?

"Complex Convergence with Usual Norm" is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of complex numbers near a limit and determine whether a sequence of complex numbers converges or diverges. This can be useful in many applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics.

5. Are there any limitations to "Complex Convergence with Usual Norm"?

One limitation of "Complex Convergence with Usual Norm" is that it only applies to sequences of complex numbers. It cannot be used to determine the convergence of series or integrals involving complex numbers. Additionally, it may not hold true for certain types of complex functions that do not behave nicely near a limit.