1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex eigenvalues - solve the system

1. Jan 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using eigenvalues and eigenvectors, find the general solution to
    dx/dt = x - y
    dy/dt = x + y

2. Relevant equations
    Matrix 'A' - lambda*identity matrix ; for finding eigenvalues and thus eigenvectors

Other relevant equations written on the attached scanned image of my attempt at solving the question.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Attached is my attempt, my lecture notes aren't clear on which eigenvalue to use when determining a general solution so at first I used the eigenvalue lambda = i + 1 which yielded a solution far from that in the answer section of this work booklet.

Using lambda = -i + 1 I got an answer very similar to the correct answer. At the bottom surrounded by a scribbled box is the answer from the book however I'm confused how they got their imaginary values...

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that 1-(i+1)=-i instead of 2-i.

ehild

4. Jan 26, 2013 #3
    Ugghhh how embarrassing.. sorry, stupid error. I'll fix that up in the morning.. how about the second lot of calculations though? I'm pretty sure I got the basic arithmetic right on them.. still the answer is wrong.
    Thanks

5. Jan 26, 2013 #4
    Ok, I've fixed my atrocious basic level maths from last night and got the correct answer.. I'm honestly not sure how I made such a terrible mistake but I did.. sorry if I wasted anyone's time.

My question remains however, is there only one general solution to a problem? For example using the eigenvalue i + 1 gives me the general solution as per the back of the book, however using the eigenvalue -i + 1 gives me an answer close to the one at the back but not quite.

When calculating a general solution are we supposed to only use the eigenvalue where 'i' is positive??

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook