Complex exponential description of SHM

In summary: This means that the imaginary part of the coefficients can be either positive or negative, but they can't both be the same.
savvvvvvvvvvy
Hey,

I'm currently reading a textbook which is attempting to derive the equation for a standing wave from first principles. I understand most steps with the exception of one.

It derives a sinusoidal function {x = A \sin \omega t} from a second order ODE, but then immediately interchanges this to {exp{\pm i \omega t}}. Presumably the \pm indicates that there are two solutions, both of which may take the {cos \theta \pm i sin \theta} form from Euler's formula.

My question is how is this format compatible with a single sinusoidal function {x = A \sin \omega t}. No matter how I manipulate it, I always end up with the sum of a sine and cosine, and the sine generally comes out to be imaginary. I imagine there's some simple feature that I'm overlooking, but can't really see it at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hey savvvvvvvvvvy! welllllllllcome to pf! :smile:

(use #s :wink:)
savvvvvvvvvvy said:
… how is this format compatible with a single sinusoidal function ##{x = A \sin \omega t}##. No matter how I manipulate it, I always end up with the sum of a sine and cosine, and the sine generally comes out to be imaginary.

difficult to tell without seeing the book,

but i'll guess that the coefficients of eiωt are allowed to be imaginary (or complex)

Remember that the general equatinn for SHM is ##x = A \sin \omega t + B \cos \omega t##. There must be some reason why your book choose to set ##B = 0##.

If you have an expression like ##x = C_1e^{i\omega t} + C_2 e^{-i\omega t}##, the constants ##C_1## and ##C_2## are complex numbers. To be precise, it should be written ##x = \Re(C_1e^{i\omega t} + C_2 e^{-i\omega t})## where ##\Re## means "the real part of".

To make the complex number form the same as the sine function, ##-i e^{i\omega t} + ie^{-i\omega t} = 2 \sin \omega t##.

1. What is the complex exponential description of SHM?

The complex exponential description of SHM stands for the complex exponential function that describes the motion of an object undergoing Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM). It is represented by the equation A*e^(iωt), where A is the amplitude of the motion and ω is the angular frequency.

2. How is the complex exponential description related to trigonometric functions?

The complex exponential description is related to trigonometric functions through Euler's formula, e^(iθ) = cosθ + i*sinθ. This means that the complex exponential function can also be represented in terms of trigonometric functions, making it easier to understand and analyze SHM.

3. What are the advantages of using complex exponential form to describe SHM?

One of the advantages of using complex exponential form is that it simplifies the mathematical representation of SHM, making it easier to perform calculations and analyze the motion. It also allows for a more intuitive understanding of the motion, as it can be represented in terms of familiar exponential and trigonometric functions.

4. Can the complex exponential form be used to describe any type of periodic motion?

Yes, the complex exponential form can be used to describe any type of periodic motion, as long as the motion can be represented as a combination of sinusoidal functions. This includes not only SHM, but also other types of oscillatory motion such as damped oscillations and forced oscillations.

5. How does the complex exponential description of SHM differ from the simple trigonometric description?

The main difference between the complex exponential and simple trigonometric description of SHM is the inclusion of the imaginary unit, i, in the complex exponential form. This allows for a more compact and elegant representation of the motion, as well as making it easier to perform calculations and analyze the motion.