1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Fourier Series Problem

1. Dec 13, 2016 #1
    Hi, I'm starting to studying fourier series and I have troubles with one exercises of complex fourier series with
    f(t) = t:
    $$t=\sum_{n=-\infty }^{\infty } \frac{e^{itn}}{2\pi }\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}t\: e^{-itn} dt$$
    $$t=\sum_{n=-\infty }^{\infty } \frac{cos(tn)+i\, sin(tn)}{2\pi }\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}t\: e^{-itn} dt$$
    $$t=\sum_{n=-\infty }^{\infty } \frac{cos(tn)+i\, sin(tn)}{2\pi }\: (2i)(\frac{\pi cos(\pi n)}{n}-\frac{sin(\pi n)}{n^{2}})$$
    $$t=\sum_{n=-\infty }^{\infty } \left ( \frac{sin(tn)sin(n\pi )}{n^{2}\pi }-\frac{sin(nt)cos(n\pi )}{n} \right )+i\left (\frac{ cos(tn)cos(\pi n)}{n}-\frac{cos(nt)sin(n\pi )}{n^{2}} \right )$$
    Because the imaginary part is a odd function only remains the term with n=0
    so:
    $$t=\sum_{n=-\infty }^{\infty } \left ( \frac{sin(tn)sin(n\pi )}{n^{2}\pi }-\frac{sin(nt)cos(n\pi )}{n} \right )+\lim_{n\rightarrow 0}\, \, i\left (\frac{ cos(tn)cos(\pi n)}{n}-\frac{cos(nt)sin(n\pi )}{n^{2}} \right )$$
    Because the real part is a even function we can transform it into this:
    $$t=2\sum_{n=1 }^{\infty } \left ( \frac{sin(tn)sin(\pi n )}{n^{2}\pi }-\frac{sin(nt)cos(n\pi )}{n} \right )+\lim_{n\rightarrow 0}\, \, \left ( \frac{sin(tn)sin(n\pi )}{n^{2}\pi }-\frac{sin(nt)cos(n\pi )}{n} \right)+$$
    $$+\lim_{n\rightarrow 0}\, \, i\left (\frac{ cos(tn)cos(\pi n)}{n}-\frac{cos(nt)sin(n\pi )}{n^{2}} \right )$$
    the first limit is 0 and in the sum we can delete the term with contains ##sin(\pi n )## and get:
    $$t=-2\sum_{n=1 }^{\infty }\frac{sin(nt)cos(n\pi )}{n}+\lim_{n\rightarrow 0}\, \, i\left (\frac{ cos(tn)cos(\pi n)}{n}-\frac{cos(nt)sin(n\pi )}{n^{2}} \right )$$
    $$t=-2\sum_{n=1 }^{\infty }(-1)^{n}\frac{sin(nt)}{n}+\lim_{n\rightarrow 0}\, \, i\left (\frac{ cos(tn)cos(\pi n)}{n}-\frac{cos(nt)sin(n\pi )}{n^{2}} \right )$$

this is right if the limit is equal to 0 but is undefined so where is the error?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2016 #2
    Ok well, sorry just ignore what I said I thought the limit is with n to infinity.

4. Dec 13, 2016 #3

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Suggestion is to treat the n=0 case separately at the beginning, so that you don't have these false n's (with n=0) showing up in the denominator. The n=0 term integrates to zero on the right integral at the very top.

5. Dec 13, 2016 #4
    .-. You are right, That's the way to banish the term n=0.
    until the 3 step the n=0 case works fine but after expanding all,the 4 step ruined everything.
    other question:
    why expanding things make mistakes? , I mean is algebra, you have some example where expanding make mistakes?
    thanks =D

6. Dec 14, 2016 #5

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, the limit is not undefined. In the limit n goes to zero, ##\cos n \pi/n ## goes to 1/n plus a correction of order n and higher which go to zero, and ##sin(n\pi)/n^2 ## goes to ##\pi/n## plus corrections of order n and higher. So the two terms you had cancel out.

if you don't like this limiting procedure, then the answer is that the integration and the limit ##n ## goes to zero do not commute. Strictly speaking, your integral of ##t e^{-itn}## is valid only for ##n \neq 0##. For n=0 you have to set n=0 before doing the integration. But I prefer to think of the integral as being correct for any n and that the limit n->0 is perfectly ok.

7. Dec 14, 2016 #6
    Thanks , I guess I have to keep solving exercises

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted