Complex functions with a real variable (graphs)

In summary, the values of the functions y=t^2, y=1+i*t^2, and y=(2+3*i)/t all move in specific patterns in the complex plane when t (a positive real number) goes to positive infinity. These patterns include moving along a portion of a line, a parabola, and a hyperbola, respectively. It is important to note that for the first function, y is always real and thus cannot form a parabola. When plotting these functions, it is important to remember that the variable being plotted is a single complex number, not a real number, and its value changes as t increases.
Poetria

Homework Statement

How do the values of the following functions move in the complex plane when t (a positive real number) goes to positive infinity?

y=t^2

y=1+i*t^2[/B]

y=(2+3*i)/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought:

y=t^2 - along a part of a line that does not pass through the origin

y=1+i*t^2 - along a part of parabola

y=(2+3*i)/t - along a part of hyperbola

Unfortunately everything is wrong. I understand that e.g. y=1+i*t^2 is a line =1 and a parabola but I don't know how to connect it. Could you give me a hint how to visualise this?
Other possibilities: spirals inward/outward, clockwise/counterclockwise, along a circle, radially inward/outward

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
With ##t## as a parameter, you are not plotting ##y## against ##t##, but simply the locus of ##y## in the plane.

Likes Poetria
PeroK said:
With ##t## as a parameter, you are not plotting ##y## against ##t##, but simply the locus of ##y## in the plane.

I am trying to imagine it. So e.g. t^2 would move counterclockwise along a circle? (Moving parabola?)

Poetria said:
I am trying to imagine it. So e.g. t^2 would move counterclockwise along a circle? (Moving parabola?)

I got the second one right, moving along part of a line... Wow! I am beginning to understand.

Poetria said:

Note that for the first locus ##y## is always real.

Likes Poetria
PeroK said:
Note that for the first locus ##y## is always real.

Is it simply a parabola in this case?

Poetria said:

As for the third I guess it spirals clockwise inward as t^(-1).

Poetria said:

Why not simply plot ##y##? You seem to be still thinking that you are plotting real ##y## against real ##t## on a normal 2D graph. That's not the case at all.

You are plotting a single complex number ##y## as its value changes.

If ##y## is real then it is confined to the real line and cannot be a parabola!

Likes Poetria
Poetria said:
As for the third I guess it spirals clockwise inward as t^(-1).
No. In particular, I'm not sure how you got the clockwise motion?

Likes Poetria
Perhaps there would be less confusion for the OP if the variable had been called ##z## instead of ##y##. Especially since complex numbers are usually expressed as ##z = x + iy##. Pretty poor notation for the problem if you ask me.

Likes PeroK and Poetria
PeroK said:
No. In particular, I'm not sure how you got the clockwise motion?

Thank you very much for your patience. :)
I tried plotting and got the third right.

Poetria said:
Thank you very much for your patience. :)
I tried plotting and got the third right.

Ok. I got all the three right. Phew. It is very simple in fact. :(

Likes PeroK

1. What is a complex function with a real variable?

A complex function with a real variable is a mathematical function that takes a real number as an input and produces a complex number as an output. It can be represented graphically as a mapping from the real number line to the complex plane.

2. How are complex functions with a real variable different from regular functions?

Complex functions with a real variable differ from regular functions in that they operate on complex numbers instead of just real numbers. This allows them to represent more complex relationships and can lead to more interesting and intricate graphs.

3. What are some common forms of complex functions with a real variable?

Some common forms of complex functions with a real variable include polynomial functions, exponential functions, logarithmic functions, and trigonometric functions. These can be combined and manipulated to create more complex functions.

4. How do you graph a complex function with a real variable?

To graph a complex function with a real variable, you will need to plot points on the complex plane. The real number input will determine the horizontal position of the point, while the complex number output will determine the vertical position. You can then connect the points to create a smooth curve that represents the function.

5. What are some real-world applications of complex functions with a real variable?

Complex functions with a real variable have applications in many fields, including engineering, physics, and economics. They are often used to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena, such as electrical circuits, fluid dynamics, and financial markets.