1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex, holomorphic and integration

1. Oct 25, 2007 #1
    1.Represent the following rational functions as sums of elementary fractions and find the primitive functions (indefinite integrals);
    (a) f(z)= z-2/z^2 +1

2.Now, I am pretty sure that I have to split up this equation into real and imaginary parts in order to show that it is holomorphic. Once I have show that, I can use that fact to find a g'(z)=f(z)

3. The attempt at a solution:

So I tried f(z)=f(x+iy)= x+iy-2/(x+iy)^2 +1
    u= x-2/(x+iy)^2 +1 and v= y/(x+iy)^2 +1

but by Cauchy-Reimann I am not getting du/dx=dv/dy, even though I know I should.
    du/dx= -x^2 -y^2 +4x+1+4iy and
    dv/dy= x^2 + y^2 +1

so I got frustrated, and attempted to do the integral anyways, first by substitution, then by parts;
    This is my best attempt so far:

Int[z/z^2+1] + Int[-2/z^2+1]
    Int[z/z^2+1]=1/2ln|z^2+1|
    Int[-2/z^2+1]= Int[-2/(z+i)(z-i)]
    I dont feel like listing everything, but by partial fractions:
    Int[-2/z^2+1]= Int[i/z-i] + Int[-i/z-i]= iln(z-i) - iln(z+i)

Final answer: 1/2ln|z^2+1|+ iln(z-i) - iln(z+i) +c

I would like to know if my answer makes even remote sense, and if you guys can figure out why my cauchy-reimann equation isnt working, that would be awesome too.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your integral looks reasonable. The reason Cauchy-Riemann isn't working is that if you are writing f(x+iy)=u(x,y)+v(x,y)*i, u and v should be real functions. You haven't gotten rid of all of the i's in them.

4. Oct 25, 2007 #3
    i'm not sure what constitutes a elementary function (i always thought rational functions were elementary!).

But the reason your not getting the cauchy reimann equations satisfied, well look at how you split up u(x,y) and v(x,y)

u= x-2/(x+iy)^2 +1 and v= y/(x+iy)^2 +1

Notice something wrong? Remember that the C-R equations work when u and v are of the form f(x,y)=u(x,y)+iv(x,y), where u and v are REAL functions of two variables. Your u and v above have complex numbers in them!

Where is the function:

g(z) = 1/2ln|z^2+1|+ iln(z-i) - iln(z+i) +c

differentiable? We know that wherever it IS differentiable, it's derivative is your original function - but the problem is asking for the subset of the plane under which this is true.

5. Oct 25, 2007 #4
    Thanks Dick, thats such a morale boost!

So I'm trying to remove the i's:
    I multiplied out x+iy-2/x^2 - y^2 + 2ixy +1
    I'm pretty sure I cant do u=x-2/x^2 - y^2 +1 and v=y/2xy
    I am honestly out of ideas :(

6. Oct 25, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have a fraction like c/(a+bi), to make the denominator real, multiply top and bottom by (a-bi). That will put all of the i's in the numerator where you can collect them.

7. Oct 25, 2007 #6
    Just for fun, Maple gave me 2/z+ln(z)+z for that integral.
    How it got there, I have no idea, but it looks much cleaner :)

8. Oct 25, 2007 #7
    omg, I cant believe I forgot the conjugate... thanks again

9. Oct 25, 2007 #8
    Ok, so that took forever, but it pretty much worked, thanks for the help guys!

10. Oct 25, 2007 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you differentiate that, do you get what you started with? I don't think so. I think you typed something wrong into Maple.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?