Complex log and Winding Number in Pi_1(S^1)

In summary, the winding number of a loop on S^1 is defined as [log(f(1))-log(f(0))]/i2Pi, but this definition is problematic since log cannot be defined continuously on S^1. However, there are ways to patch up this definition by considering paths in simply-connected regions, using the derivative of log(z), or lifting paths to the Riemann surface for log(z). Additionally, the winding number can be used to define a homotopy between two functions with the same winding number, and this homotopy is only valid for functions with the same winding number.
Bacle
Hi, everyone:

I am confused about the def. of winding number of a loop on S^1

( on elements of Pi_1(S^1,1) ). The winding number is defined by

w(f):= [log(f)1)-log(f)0)]/i2Pi

One of the problems is that log cannot be defined continuously on

S^1, since complex logs can only be define in simply-connected regions that do not wind

around the origin --and S^1 fails both these conditions.

How does this definition then make sense.?

2) Also, in my old class notes, we use log to define a homotopy

between any two functions f,g with the same winding number:

f_t(x)=exp[tlog(f)x+ (1-t)g(x))

In which we seem to assume log is continuous. Just curious:

what would happen if g,f had different winding number.?.

I understand each homotopy class [n] in Pi1(S1) consists of

all paths that loop around n times. ft(x) above is clearly a homotopy between

g(x) and f(x)

I am hoping to understand better why the classes [n] and [m] are only homotopic

for m=n. I am aware that we construct the isomorphism by first using the fact that

the cardinality of Pi1(S1) is the same as that of the fiber

of any point under the standard cover by the reals, and that we show that the map

to the deck transformation group is an isomorphism, but understanding the log issue

will help me get more insights.

Thanks in Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bacle said:
I am confused about the def. of winding number of a loop on S^1

( on elements of Pi_1(S^1,1) ). The winding number is defined by

w(f):= [log(f)1)-log(f)0)]/i2Pi

One of the problems is that log cannot be defined continuously on

S^1, since complex logs can only be define in simply-connected regions that do not wind

around the origin --and S^1 fails both these conditions.

How does this definition then make sense.?
I'm surprised that your book said only that and nothing else.

One way to patch things up is to note that w(f) is by noting:
  • That formula is well-defined for paths in simply-connected regions
  • Such paths generate the fundamental groupoid
  • Writing a path as a sum of generators in two different ways yields the same value for the winding number

Another way is that the derivative of log(z) is well-defined on the entire circle, and you can define w(f) via integration.

Another way is to lift paths on the circle to paths on the Riemann surface for log(z).

Last edited:

1. What is the complex logarithm?

The complex logarithm is a mathematical function that takes a complex number as its input and returns another complex number as its output. It is defined as the inverse of the exponential function, meaning that if we take the complex logarithm of a number, we can find the exponent that would produce that number.

2. What is the winding number in Pi_1(S^1)?

The winding number, also known as the index or degree, is a numerical measure of how many times a curve wraps around a given point in the complex plane. In the context of Pi_1(S^1), which represents the fundamental group of the circle, the winding number is used to classify loops on the circle and determine if they are homotopic (can be continuously deformed into each other).

3. How is the complex logarithm related to the winding number in Pi_1(S^1)?

The complex logarithm can be used to calculate the winding number of a loop on the circle. By taking the complex logarithm of each point along the loop and summing them, we can determine the total winding number of the loop.

4. What is the significance of the complex logarithm and winding number in Pi_1(S^1)?

The complex logarithm and winding number are important concepts in mathematics, specifically in complex analysis and topology. They have applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science, and are used to study the properties of curves and surfaces in higher dimensions.

5. Are there any real-world examples of the complex logarithm and winding number in Pi_1(S^1)?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of the complex logarithm and winding number in Pi_1(S^1). For instance, they are used in navigation and GPS systems to calculate the shortest path between two points on a curved surface, such as the Earth. They are also used in computer graphics to create smooth and realistic animations of rotating objects.