1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Number Orthonormal Basis.

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1
    Find an orthonormal basis for P2(ℂ) with respect to the inner product:

<p(x),q(x)> = p(0)q(0) + p(i)q(i) + p(2i)q(2i) the q(x) functions are suppose to be the conjugates I just don't know how to write it on the computer

Attempt:

This is where I'm having trouble. So usually I'm given a set of basis vectors, then I would apply the gram schmidt process to them. But this is throwing me for a loop. I know that the inner product of the two vectors is going to have to equate 0. But how do I choose vectors to start? I assume it wouldn't be fair to choose the standard basis vectors of P2 and just normalize them. In fact I don't even think that would produce the necessary condition for them to be orthogonal. I'm stuck. Help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is fair to choose the usual basis {x^2,x,1} and show they are orthogonal. Why not?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted