Simple inner product question on CMOplex SPace

In summary: Great. That means the way I had accepted of finding ortogonal bases over the complex is flawed. I had worked the general form as being <v2, u1>/<u1, u1> because I had an issue with this before but over the regularly defined complex inner product and that brought about the right solution, the textbook had it defined as <u1,v2>/<u1,u1> but then doing it that way I didn't get the right solution. Looks like I'm going to have to try both and see which satisfies it in the proper way.
trap101
Let the inner product on P2(C) be defined as:

∫ (from -1 to 1) p(t)(conjugate) q(t) dt.

using the gram schmidt process and the standard basis {1, x, x2} find an orthonormal basis.

So my only issue really is interpreting this integral. I just wanted to test if the vectors in the basis were not orthogonal for my own assurance, but now I'm not sure if that is the case. So taking the inner product of < x , 1>:

< x, 1> = x2/2 ? is that right? I mean there are no complex values in the standard basis so I don't see how the conjugate is changing anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
trap101 said:
Let the inner product on P2(C) be defined as:

∫ (from -1 to 1) p(t)(conjugate) q(t) dt.

using the gram schmidt process and the standard basis {1, x, x2} find an orthonormal basis.

So my only issue really is interpreting this integral. I just wanted to test if the vectors in the basis were not orthogonal for my own assurance, but now I'm not sure if that is the case. So taking the inner product of < x , 1>:

< x, 1> = x2/2 ? is that right? I mean there are no complex values in the standard basis so I don't see how the conjugate is changing anything.

Yes, the conjugate isn't changing anything. NO, <x,1> is NOT x^2/2. It's a definite integral.

Dick said:
Yes, the conjugate isn't changing anything. NO, <x,1> is NOT x^2/2. It's a definite integral.

Right, but now this is a past exam question I'm working on, and if that is the case. The set of standard basis vectors would each be orthogonal to each other. Which makes sense, then all I would have to do is "normalize" them to make them orthonormal. But that is only 3-4 lines at most. I don't know something seems odd about that.

trap101 said:
Right, but now this is a past exam question I'm working on, and if that is the case. The set of standard basis vectors would each be orthogonal to each other. Which makes sense, then all I would have to do is "normalize" them to make them orthonormal. But that is only 3-4 lines at most. I don't know something seems odd about that.

<1,x^2> isn't 0. What is it?

Dick said:
<1,x^2> isn't 0. What is it?

True, thank god. I'm having another small calculation question on another inner product deinfed as:

<p(x),q(x)> = P(0)(conjugate) q(0) + P(i)(conjugate) q(i)

now the question is asking to find an orthonormal basis for P1(C)

going through the gram schmidt again, I'm getting tangled up in an inner product that isn't giving me what I think it should.

So using the standard basis of P1: {1,x} I let "1" be my initial vector. So to find the next vector call it v2:

v2 = x - < x, 1>/<1,1> so I'm having issues with < x , 1 >.

Doesn't < x, 1> = (-i)/2 ? thus giving me a basis vector of (x + i/2)...this didn't turn out being orthogonal

trap101 said:
True, thank god. I'm having another small calculation question on another inner product deinfed as:

<p(x),q(x)> = P(0)(conjugate) q(0) + P(i)(conjugate) q(i)

now the question is asking to find an orthonormal basis for P1(C)

going through the gram schmidt again, I'm getting tangled up in an inner product that isn't giving me what I think it should.

So using the standard basis of P1: {1,x} I let "1" be my initial vector. So to find the next vector call it v2:

v2 = x - < x, 1>/<1,1> so I'm having issues with < x , 1 >.

Doesn't < x, 1> = (-i)/2 ? thus giving me a basis vector of (x + i/2)...this didn't turn out being orthogonal

Be careful with the order of the arguments to the inner product. <x,1>=i. <1,x>=(-i). Try it carefully. And maybe I have that wrong. Which function is the conjugate on, p or q?

Dick said:
Be careful with the order of the arguments to the inner product. <x,1>=i. <1,x>=(-i). Try it carefully. And maybe I have that wrong. Which function is the conjugate on, p or q?

Great. That means the way I had accepted of finding ortogonal bases over the complex is flawed. I had worked the general form as being <v2, u1>/<u1, u1> because I had an issue with this before but over the regularly defined complex inner product and that brought about the right solution, the textbook had it defined as <u1,v2>/<u1,u1> but then doing it that way I didn't get the right solution.

Looks like I'm going to have to try both and see which satisfies it in the proper way.

1. What is a simple inner product?

A simple inner product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar value. It is similar to the dot product, but with some additional properties that make it useful in certain applications.

2. What is a CMOplex space?

A CMOplex space is a mathematical structure that extends the concept of a vector space to include complex numbers as well as real numbers. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used in many areas of science and engineering.

3. How is the inner product defined in a CMOplex space?

In a CMOplex space, the inner product is defined as a function that takes two vectors and produces a complex number. It has properties such as linearity, symmetry, and positive definiteness, which make it a useful tool in analyzing and solving problems.

4. What are some common applications of inner products in CMOplex spaces?

Inner products are used in a variety of applications in science and engineering, including signal processing, quantum mechanics, and data analysis. They are also used in the development of algorithms for machine learning and artificial intelligence.

5. How is the inner product calculated in practice?

In practice, the inner product is often calculated using the conjugate transpose of one vector multiplied by the other vector. This can be done using either a manual calculation or using software programs such as MATLAB or Python. Other methods, such as using the Gram-Schmidt process, may also be used in certain cases.