Complex numbers and polynomial

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving a summation notation where i and j are exponents that run through all integer values from 1 up through 2n + 1, and the "i < j" condition means that certain expressions are excluded from the summation. The question also discusses the possibility of replacing j = 1 with j = 2 and the need for someone to expand the first few terms in the summation.
davon806

Homework Statement

Hi,I have a problem regarding to one of the questions in my homework.Actually I am not trying to ask for the solution.I am just not sure what the question is asking for.Please see the attached

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In 5(c),the summation notation stated that i = 1,j=1 and i<j.
Q1:If i<j,then why don't start at j =2?Coz j=1 cannot be smaller than i
Q2:What exactly does i = 1,j=1 means?I got confused with that it matrix multiplication(two summation signs).On the contrary,there is only one summation sign here.
It would be helpful if someone can expand the first few terms in the summation
12080355_1222644744418004_7298316560608381996_o.jpg

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
davon806 said:

Homework Statement

Hi,I have a problem regarding to one of the questions in my homework.Actually I am not trying to ask for the solution.I am just not sure what the question is asking for.Please see the attached

Homework Equations

Q2:What exactly does i = 1,j=1 means?I got confused with that it matrix multiplication(two summation signs).On the contrary,there is only one summation sign here.
View attachment 90194
Thanks
The exponents i and j run through all integer values from 1 up through 2n + 1. The "i < j" part means, I believe, that all expressions ##\omega^{i + j}## where if i < j add up to zero. The summation would include ##\omega^{1 + 2}, \omega^{1 + 3}, \omega^{1 + 4}, \dots, \omega^{2 + 3}, \omega^{2 + 4}, \dots ##, and so on. The summation wouldn't include ##\omega^{1 + 1}## and several others.

So practically j = 1 should be replaced with j = 2 ?

davon806 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

View attachment 90194
Thanks

I agree that someone should expand the first few term in the summation---and it should be YOU that does it. How or why are you prevented from doing that?

1. What are complex numbers and how are they represented?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary component. They are represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. What is the difference between real and imaginary numbers?

Real numbers are numbers that can be represented on a number line and include all rational and irrational numbers. Imaginary numbers are numbers that cannot be represented on a number line and include numbers in the form of bi, where i is the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1.

3. How are complex numbers used in polynomial equations?

Complex numbers are used in polynomial equations to find the roots or solutions of the equation. These roots can be real, imaginary, or complex depending on the equation.

4. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra and how is it related to complex numbers?

The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra states that every polynomial equation of degree n has n solutions, including complex solutions. This means that complex numbers are necessary to fully solve polynomial equations.

5. Can complex numbers be graphed on a traditional x-y coordinate plane?

No, complex numbers cannot be graphed on a traditional x-y coordinate plane because they have two components (real and imaginary) and require a 2-dimensional graph to represent them accurately.