1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex numbers and polynomial

1. Oct 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi,I have a problem regarding to one of the questions in my homework.Actually I am not trying to ask for the solution.I am just not sure what the question is asking for.Please see the attached

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    In 5(c),the summation notation stated that i = 1,j=1 and i<j.
    Q1:If i<j,then why don't start at j =2?Coz j=1 cannot be smaller than i
    Q2:What exactly does i = 1,j=1 means?I got confused with that it matrix multiplication(two summation signs).On the contrary,there is only one summation sign here.
    It would be helpful if someone can expand the first few terms in the summation
    12080355_1222644744418004_7298316560608381996_o.jpg
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The exponents i and j run through all integer values from 1 up through 2n + 1. The "i < j" part means, I believe, that all expressions ##\omega^{i + j}## where if i < j add up to zero. The summation would include ##\omega^{1 + 2}, \omega^{1 + 3}, \omega^{1 + 4}, \dots, \omega^{2 + 3}, \omega^{2 + 4}, \dots ##, and so on. The summation wouldn't include ##\omega^{1 + 1}## and several others.

4. Oct 14, 2015 #3
    So practically j = 1 should be replaced with j = 2 ?

5. Oct 14, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The effect would be the same, I think.

6. Oct 14, 2015 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree that someone should expand the first few term in the summation---and it should be YOU that does it. How or why are you prevented from doing that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted