• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Complex numbers and reflection

• Thread starter erisedk
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Reflection of the line ##\bar{a}z + a\bar{z} = 0## in the real axis is

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a line in the complex plane is represented as ##\bar{a}z + a\bar{z} + b= 0## and that its slope ##μ = \dfrac{-a}{\bar{a}}##. I'm not sure how to do this problem. I'm also not very good with complex geometry so please help.

Answers and Replies

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Reflection of the line ##\bar{a}z + a\bar{z} = 0## in the real axis is

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a line in the complex plane is represented as ##\bar{a}z + a\bar{z} + b= 0## and that its slope ##μ = \dfrac{-a}{\bar{a}}##. I'm not sure how to do this problem. I'm also not very good with complex geometry so please help.
What is the reflection of z in the real axis?

Its conjugate.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Its conjugate.
Right. So if you have two points ##z## and ##\bar w##, how would you write their reflections notationally? What is the general rule you see here?

As ##\bar{z}## and ##w##? That I need to take the conjugate of the equation of the line? But that gives me back the original line. However, the funny thing is if I take the conjugate of only ##z##, I get the desired answer, i.e. ##\bar{a}\bar{z} + az = 0##. I can't really explain that though.

ehild
Homework Helper
However, the funny thing is if I take the conjugate of only ##z##, I get the desired answer, i.e. ##\bar{a}\bar{z} + az = 0##. I can't really explain that though.
You need to conjugate those complex numbers z which are on that line instead of conjugating the equation.
You have a line in the x,y plane. What is the equation of that line?
What line do you get when you reflect the original line on the x axis?
How can you write the complex numbers z1 with their real and imaginary parts which are on the original line ? What are those complex numbers z2 which are on the reflected line?

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
As ##\bar{z}## and ##w##? That I need to take the conjugate of the equation of the line? But that gives me back the original line. However, the funny thing is if I take the conjugate of only ##z##, I get the desired answer, i.e. ##\bar{a}\bar{z} + az = 0##. I can't really explain that though.
If you have an equation for z that specifies a point, z=a say, then how do you write the equation for the reflection of that point? You would write ##\bar z=a## or ##z=\bar a##, not ##\bar z=\bar a##.

Ok, got it thank you!