1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex numbers and reflection

1. Apr 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Reflection of the line ##\bar{a}z + a\bar{z} = 0## in the real axis is

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that a line in the complex plane is represented as ##\bar{a}z + a\bar{z} + b= 0## and that its slope ##μ = \dfrac{-a}{\bar{a}}##. I'm not sure how to do this problem. I'm also not very good with complex geometry so please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What is the reflection of z in the real axis?

4. Apr 27, 2016 #3
    Its conjugate.

5. Apr 27, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Right. So if you have two points ##z## and ##\bar w##, how would you write their reflections notationally? What is the general rule you see here?

6. Apr 27, 2016 #5
    As ##\bar{z}## and ##w##? That I need to take the conjugate of the equation of the line? But that gives me back the original line. However, the funny thing is if I take the conjugate of only ##z##, I get the desired answer, i.e. ##\bar{a}\bar{z} + az = 0##. I can't really explain that though.

7. Apr 27, 2016 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to conjugate those complex numbers z which are on that line instead of conjugating the equation.
    You have a line in the x,y plane. What is the equation of that line?
    What line do you get when you reflect the original line on the x axis?
    How can you write the complex numbers z1 with their real and imaginary parts which are on the original line ? What are those complex numbers z2 which are on the reflected line?

8. Apr 27, 2016 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If you have an equation for z that specifies a point, z=a say, then how do you write the equation for the reflection of that point? You would write ##\bar z=a## or ##z=\bar a##, not ##\bar z=\bar a##.

9. Apr 28, 2016 #8
    Ok, got it thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted