1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex numbers, i don't kno if it's before or after calculus sry

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

find the three roots of z[tex]^{3}[/tex] = 1, giving non real roots in the form of e[tex]^{i\theta}[/tex], where -[tex]\pi[/tex]<[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\pi[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

z = re[tex]^{i\theta}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

i kno that one of the roots is 1, an the other two form a conjugate pair. i can't find them.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2
    google "roots of unity" and read about how you can locate them. They are spaced evenly on the unit circle.
  4. Nov 19, 2007 #3
    and the question continues, i can't find that too.

given that [tex]\omega[/tex] is one of the non real roots, show that 1 + [tex]\omega[/tex] + [tex]\omega^{2}[/tex] = 0
  5. Nov 19, 2007 #4
    thanks futurebird
  6. Nov 19, 2007 #5
    In general from de moivre’s theorem, when you consider a complex number in polar form you get

z^(1/n) = r(cosx + isinx)^1/n = r^(1/n)(cos([x+2kpi]/n) + I*sin([x+2kpi]/n)) for 0<k<n-1 where k is an integer
  7. Nov 20, 2007 #6
    the thing is that i'm not familiar with de moivre's theorem. i guess we did only basic complex numbers at school. i came across this question on a past paper from another examination board. it's prolly not in our syllabus.

8. Nov 20, 2007 #7
    I assume you know what this equation means, i.e. that this is a possible way to express a complex number (and that r>=0). Do you also know how to multiply two complex numbers?
    [tex] z_1 \cdot z_2 = r_1 e^{i\theta_1} \cdot r_2 e^{i\theta_2} = r_1 r_2 e^{i(\theta_1 + \theta_2)}[/tex], where [tex] e^{i2\pi} = 1[/tex] might be needed, in case you didn't already know that one.

You are looking for z such that z*z*z = 1. Write that out in the form given and try to find solutions for z.
  9. Nov 20, 2007 #8

Homework Helper

Well if you knew that z=1 was a solution to the equation [itex]z^3=1 => z^3-1=0[/itex] would that not mean that [itex](z-1)[/itex] is a factor of [itex]z^3-1=0[/itex] ?

then you can just divide it out and you'll get [itex](z-1)(z^2+bz+1)=0[/itex] and then find the value of b...and then you use the quad. eq'n formula on the 2nd factor and get your roots...then put those roots into the form [itex]re^{i\theta}[/itex]

but it would be easier to use the roots of unity method
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?