1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex numbers: Understanding solutions to tough problems

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    Following are problems from the book "Complex Numbers from A to ...Z" by Titu Andreescu and Dorin Andrica. It's a wonderful book, I'm still adapting to the higher-than-usual level though. My questions/comments are written in bold throughout the problems and solutions.

Problem 1:
    Prove that for any complex number z,
    [tex]
    |1+z| < \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \text{ or } |z^2 + 1| \geq 1.
    [/tex]
    Does the "or" in there mean that both of those conditions must be met?

Solution:
    Suppose by way of contradiction that
    [tex]
    |1+z|<\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \text{ and } |1+z^2|<1.
    [/tex]
    Setting [itex]z=a+bi[/itex], with [itex]a,b\in \mathbb{R}[/itex] yields [itex]z^{2}=a^{2}-b^{2}+2abi[/itex]. This step I understand.

We obtain
    [tex]
    (1+a^{2}-b^{2})^{2} + 4a^{2}b^{2}<1 \text{ and } (1+a)^{2}+b^{2}<\frac{1}{2},
    [/tex]
    Did this come from just inserting [itex]z^{2}[/itex]? I don't get this when inserting.
    and consequently
    [tex]
    (a^{2}+b^{2})^{2}+2(a^{2}-b^{2})<0 \text{ and } 2(a^{2}+b^{2})+4a+1<0.
    [/tex]
    This must just be further reduction, but I need the previous step to understand this one.
    Summing these inequalities implies
    [tex]
    (a^{2}+b^{2})^{2}+(2a+1)^{2}<0,
    [/tex]
    which is a contradiction.

Problem 2:
    Prove that
    [tex]
    \sqrt{\frac{7}{2}} \leq |1+z| + |1-z+z^{2}| \leq 3\sqrt{\frac{7}{6}}
    [/tex]
    for all complex numbers with [itex]|z|=1[/itex].

Solution:
    Let [itex]t=|1+z|\in [0,2].[/itex] We have
    [tex]
    t^{2}=(1+z)(1+\bar{z})=2+2Re(z), \text{ so } Re(z)=\frac{t^{2}-2}{2}.
    [/tex]
    I know that [itex]Re(z)=\frac{z+\bar{z}}{2}[/itex], but isn't the equation missing [itex]z\cdot \bar{z}[/itex]?
    Then [itex]|1-z+z^{2}|=\sqrt{|7-2t^{2}|}[/itex].How did this happen? Inserting what I know about [itex]t[/itex] in [itex]|1-z+z^{2}|[/itex] doesn't get me anywhere.
    It suffices to find the extreme values of the function
    [tex]
    f:[0,2]\rightarrow \mathbb{R}, \, \, \, \, f(t)=t+\sqrt{|7-2t^{2}|}.
    [/tex]
    No problemo.
    We obtain
    [tex]
    f\left(\sqrt{\frac{7}{2}}\right)=\sqrt{\frac{7}{2}} \leq t+\sqrt{|7-2t^{2}|} \leq f\left(\sqrt{\frac{7}{6}}\right)=3\sqrt{\frac{7}{6}}
    [/tex]
    I understand this as well.

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No - "or" means that one or the other (or possibly both) must be true.
    No. The opposite of the statement with "or" in it is
    [tex]
    |1+z| \geq \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \text{ and } |z^2 + 1| < 1.
    [/tex]
    It's getting late, so I'm going to turn in, so maybe others will have additional comments on your work.

4. Oct 18, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To this point, what Mark44 said: a contradiction would be
    [tex]|1+ z^2|< 1\text{ and } |1+ z|\ge \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

No, it's not "just inserting [itex]z^2[/itex]", it is using the definition of "absolute" value of a complex number: [itex]|z|= \sqrt{z\bar{z}}[/itex] so with z= a+ bi, [itex]|a+ bi|= \sqrt{a^2+ b^2}[/itex].

With z= a+ bi, 1+ z= (a+ 1)+ bi so the absolute value is [itex]\sqrt{(a+1)^2+ b^2}\ge \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]. Squaring both side of the inequality [itex]|1+ z|\ge \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] (which is legal because both sides are positive) we have
    [tex](a+1)^2+ b^2\ge \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

With z= a+ bi, [itex]z^2= a^2-b^2+ 2abi[/itex], [itex]1+ z^2= a^2- b^2+ 1+ 2abi[/itex] and [itex]|1+ z^2|^2= (1+ a^2- b^2)^2+ 4a^2b^3< 1[/itex].

The hypothesis is that |z|= 1 so that [itex]z\cdot\bar{z}= 1[/itex]. In particular, with [itex]t^2= |1+ z|^2[/itex], again, taking z= a+ bi, [itex]t^2= (a+1)^2+ b^2= a^2+ 2a+ 1+ b^2= 2a+ 2= 2Re(z)+ 2[/itex] because [itex]|z|^2= a^2+ b^2= 1[/itex].

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  5. Oct 18, 2011 #4
    Ah! That makes so much more sense now. Looking at the problem with z=a+bi made much more sense. What happened when you went from [itex]1+z^{2}[/itex] to [itex]|1+z^{2}|^{2}[/itex]? How did [itex]a^{2}-b^{2}+1+2abi[/itex] become [itex](1+a^{2}-b^{2})^{2}+4a^{2}b^{3}[/itex]?

What about the last part when the function showed up?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook