Complex potential of a metallic cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a complex potential in the w-plane for a charged metallic cylinder with a unit radius and potential Vo on its surface. The speaker is unsure of how to approach the problem, but suggests using Gauss's Law and assuming a charge per unit length of Q on the cylinder to calculate the electric field and derive the potential, adding Vo to the final result. They also mention being rusty on their knowledge of electrostatics.
xago

Homework Statement

Construct a complex potential in the w-plane which corresponds to a charged metallic cylinder of unit radius having a potential Vo on its surface.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit confused on how to start deriving a complex potential for the cylinder. If I was given the charge of the cylinder I know i could use Gauss's Law to find the electric field and derive that to get the potential. However I'm not sure how to deal with unit circle with a constant potential on the surface. The 2D plane for the cylinder just gives a unit circle and the w-plane is just u on the x-axis and v on the y-axis (w = u + iv)
This problem is from a math course and I'm a bit rusty on my electrostatics

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Should I just assume a charge per unit length of Q on the cylinder, use gauss law to get the electric then derive that to get the potential which I simply add Vo to?

1. What is the definition of complex potential of a metallic cylinder?

The complex potential of a metallic cylinder is a mathematical concept used in electrostatics to describe the behavior of electric fields around a cylindrical conductor. It takes into account both the real and imaginary components of the potential function.

2. How is the complex potential of a metallic cylinder different from that of a point charge?

The complex potential of a metallic cylinder is different from that of a point charge because it takes into account the cylindrical shape of the conductor and the distribution of charges along its surface. This leads to a more complex potential function with both real and imaginary components, compared to the simpler potential function of a point charge.

3. What factors affect the value of the complex potential of a metallic cylinder?

The value of the complex potential of a metallic cylinder is affected by several factors, including the radius and length of the cylinder, the distribution of charges along its surface, and the presence of any other conductors or dielectric materials nearby.

4. How is the complex potential of a metallic cylinder calculated?

The complex potential of a metallic cylinder can be calculated using mathematical techniques such as the method of images or the method of separation of variables. These methods involve solving Laplace's equation in cylindrical coordinates, taking into account the boundary conditions of the cylinder.

5. What is the significance of the complex potential of a metallic cylinder in practical applications?

The complex potential of a metallic cylinder has many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic devices and electromagnetic shielding. It can also be used to study the behavior of electric fields in complex systems, such as multiple interacting conductors or dielectric materials.