1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex potential of a metallic cylinder

1. Mar 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Construct a complex potential in the w-plane which corresponds to a charged metallic cylinder of unit radius having a potential Vo on its surface.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm a bit confused on how to start deriving a complex potential for the cylinder. If I was given the charge of the cylinder I know i could use Gauss's Law to find the electric field and derive that to get the potential. However I'm not sure how to deal with unit circle with a constant potential on the surface. The 2D plane for the cylinder just gives a unit circle and the w-plane is just u on the x-axis and v on the y-axis (w = u + iv)
    This problem is from a math course and I'm a bit rusty on my electrostatics

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2012 #2
    Should I just assume a charge per unit length of Q on the cylinder, use gauss law to get the electric then derive that to get the potential which I simply add Vo to?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook