Complex solutions to a differential equation a vector space?

In summary: If you invert any such function is the inverse also a function of that kind? If you take the real part of any such function is the real part also a function of that kind? You are asking about a set of all complex numbers. This is not what is being asked.
csnsc14320

Homework Statement

Is the set of all complex solutions to the differential equation [tex] \frac{d^2 y}{d x^2} + 2\frac{d y}{d x} - 3 y = 0[/tex]

If so, find a basis, the dimension, and give the zero vector

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the equation and got the answer:

[tex]y(x) = C_1 e^{-3x} + C_2e^x[/tex]

I know how to test if a set is a vector space but I'm not really seeing the "set" here. Is it because [tex]C_1[/tex] and [tex]C_2[/tex] can be complex numbers? In which case, wouldn't any complex number work so would I get the set of all complex numbers?

any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you missed out somthing in your question -

I'm assuming it is, "is the set of all complex solutions to the differential equation - a vector space"

I would start with the axioms for a vector space - what are they?
Then what is the general form of your solution? This will generally have some undetermined constants to give a family of solutions

"the space" is then the set of all solutions. Is it a vector space?

In short, a vector space is closed under scalar multiplication and addition, with some other axioms, so check:
closure under scalar multiplication - so given any solution is a scalar times the solution also a solution
closure under addition - so given 2 solutions is their sum also a solution

then fill out the other axioms

Last edited:
updated post above

csnsc14320 said:

Homework Statement

Is the set of all complex solutions to the differential equation [tex] \frac{d^2 y}{d x^2} + 2\frac{d y}{d x} - 3 y = 0[/tex]

If so, find a basis, the dimension, and give the zero vector

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the equation and got the answer:

[tex]y(x) = C_1 e^{-3x} + C_2e^x[/tex]

I know how to test if a set is a vector space but I'm not really seeing the "set" here. Is it because [tex]C_1[/tex] and [tex]C_2[/tex] can be complex numbers? In which case, wouldn't any complex number work so would I get the set of all complex numbers?

any help is appreciated
First, exactly what do you mean by "complex solution"? If you mean simply that the coefficients C1 and C2 are complex, as you say, they the "set" asked about is NOT "the set of all complex numbers". It is the set of all such functions:
[tex]\{ f(x)= C_1 e^{-3x}+ C_2 e^x : C_1, C_2 \in \math{C}\}[/tex].

If you add two such functions is the sum also a function of that kind? If you multiply such a function by a complex number is the product also a function of that kind?

1. What is a complex solution in a differential equation?

A complex solution in a differential equation refers to a solution that involves complex numbers, which are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary component. This is in contrast to a real solution, which only involves real numbers.

2. What is a vector space in the context of differential equations?

A vector space in the context of differential equations is a set of vectors that can be added and multiplied by scalars to produce other vectors. In simpler terms, it is a mathematical structure that allows us to perform operations on vectors in a consistent and meaningful way.

3. How are complex solutions related to vector spaces in differential equations?

In the context of differential equations, complex solutions are often represented as vectors in a vector space. This is because the solutions to a differential equation can be thought of as a set of vectors that form a basis for the vector space.

4. What are some applications of complex solutions in differential equations?

Complex solutions in differential equations have many applications in various fields of science and engineering, including quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in signal processing, control theory, and image processing.

5. How are complex solutions to a differential equation determined?

The process of determining complex solutions to a differential equation involves solving the equation using complex numbers. This often requires the use of techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, and power series. The solution can then be represented as a vector in a vector space.