Complex Variables Question (should be easy)

In summary, the set of points determined by the equation |2z + i| = 4 is a circle with a center at (0, -1/2) and a radius of 2. For the equation Re(∑z - i) = 2, the points lie on the line x = 2. There is no specific way to rate people who reply, but there may be a poll at the end of the year for homework helper of the year.
DEMJ

Homework Statement

Sketch the set of points determined [tex]\mid 2\bar z + i \mid = 4[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]\mid z - z_0 \mid = r[/tex] and [tex]\mid \bar z \mid = \mid z \mid[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that it will be the circle with radius = 4 and [tex]z_0[/tex] is the center of the circle and that the points that are relevant are the ones on the circle only because it is an equals sign. So with this equation what is throwing me off is the [tex]2z[/tex]. What I did was (not sure if this is part is legal) is divide both sides by 2 and obtained [tex]\mid z - (-\frac{1}{2}i) \mid = 2[/tex].

So this means I have a circle of [tex]r=2[/tex] and [tex]z_0 = (0, -\frac{1}{2})[/tex] to draw. Please let me know if this is correct or not. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dividing by 2 is perfectly fine (since for any any real number [itex]c[/itex], you know [itex]|cz|=c|z|[/itex]), but you have another mistake:

[tex]|\bar{z}|=|z|\implies |2\bar{z}+i|=|\overline{(2\bar{z}+i)}|=|2z-i|\neq|2z+i|[/tex]

Oh so I should have just took the conjugate of [tex]|2\bar{z} + i| = |\overline{2\bar{z} + i}| = |2z -i|[/tex] then you get [tex]|z - \frac{1}{2}i| = 2[/tex]

So I should draw my circle with a center at [tex] (0,\frac{1}{2})[/tex] and radius 2.

Thank you very much for the help I believe this solves that question.

Where should I start with this equation:
[tex] Re(\bar{z} - i) = 2 [/tex]

I know that:
[tex]Re(\bar{z}) = Re(z) = \frac{z+\bar{z}}{2} = x[/tex]

So [tex]Re(\bar{z} - i) = Re(\bar{z}) -Re(i) = x + -Re(i)[/tex] Then the only thing I can think of is since i = (0,1) then the R(i) = (0,0). How does this look?

DEMJ said:
Oh so I should have just took the conjugate of [tex]|2\bar{z} + i| = |\overline{2\bar{z} + i}| = |2z -i|[/tex] then you get [tex]|z - \frac{1}{2}i| = 2[/tex]

So I should draw my circle with a center at [tex] (0,\frac{1}{2})[/tex] and radius 2.

Yup!:approve:

I know that:
[tex]Re(\bar{z}) = Re(z) = \frac{z+\bar{z}}{2} = x[/tex]

So [tex]Re(\bar{z} - i) = Re(\bar{z}) -Re(i) = x + -Re(i)[/tex]

No, if [itex] Re(z) = \frac{z+\bar{z}}{2}[/itex], then

[tex]Re(\bar{z} - i)=\frac{(\bar{z} - i)+\overline{(\bar{z} - i)}}{2}[/tex]

right?

Yes you are right. So by this we have [tex]Re(\bar{z} - i)=\frac{(\bar{z} - i)+\overline{(\bar{z} - i)}}{2} = \frac{(\bar{z} - i) + (z + i)}{2} = \frac{(x - iy - i) + (x + iy + i)}{2} = \frac{2x}{2} = x[/tex]

So it's just the points that lie on the line of x = 2. I am pretty sure this is right and I am thankful for your great responses. Is there any way to rate people who reply?

DEMJ said:
Yes you are right. So by this we have [tex]Re(\bar{z} - i)=\frac{(\bar{z} - i)+\overline{(\bar{z} - i)}}{2} = \frac{(\bar{z} - i) + (z + i)}{2} = \frac{(x - iy - i) + (x + iy + i)}{2} = \frac{2x}{2} = x[/tex]

So it's just the points that lie on the line of x = 2. I am pretty sure this is right and I am thankful for your great responses.

Looks good to me!:approve:

Is there any way to rate people who reply?

I think there is a poll held in the general discussion forum at the end of the year for homework helper of the year, but other than that I don't think so.

1. What are complex variables?

Complex variables are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary component. They are often represented as z = x + yi, where x is the real part and yi is the imaginary part. These numbers follow specific mathematical rules and can be used to solve problems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How are complex variables different from real variables?

Unlike real variables, which only have a single value, complex variables have both a real and imaginary component. This allows for a wider range of mathematical operations and solutions to problems. Additionally, complex variables can be visualized on a complex plane, with the real axis representing the x-axis and the imaginary axis representing the y-axis.

3. What is the significance of complex variables in science?

Complex variables have many practical applications in science. They are used to solve problems in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. They also play a crucial role in understanding and analyzing systems with periodic behavior, such as waves and vibrations.

4. Are there any real-life examples of complex variables?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of complex variables. One example is the study of electrical circuits, where complex variables are used to solve problems involving resistance, capacitance, and inductance. Another example is the analysis of electromagnetic waves, where complex variables are used to understand the propagation and behavior of these waves.

5. What are some common methods used to solve complex variable problems?

There are several common methods used to solve complex variable problems. These include the Cauchy-Riemann equations, contour integration, and the residue theorem. Other techniques, such as power series and Laurent series, can also be used to solve complex variable problems. Additionally, techniques from real variable calculus, such as differentiation and integration, can also be applied to complex variables.