Solve 3sin(x+10)=4cos(x-10) - Help!

In summary, to solve for x in the equation 3sin(x+10)=4cos(x-10), use the trigonometric identities cos(a+b)=cos a cos b-sin a sin b and sin(a+b)=sin a cos b+cos a sin b to expand the terms. Then, collect the coefficients of cos x and sin x and use the formula tan x=A/B to find the value of x.
brandon26
Solve for x

3sin(x+10)=4cos(x-10)

I tried changinf everything into tan nothing out. I tried expaning the brackets and collecting like terms, that didnt work out either.
Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeh, but I can't simplify anything to solve the problem

Well expand the sin and cos and apply cos (-x) = cos x, and sin (-x) = -sin x.

Then collect terms/coefficients of cos x and sin x.

If one has a form A cos x = B sin x, the tan x = A/B and x = tan-1 (A/B). In this problem A and B have terms of sin 10 and cos 10.

1. How do I solve this equation?

To solve this equation, you need to use trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulations to simplify the equation. First, we can use the identities sin(x+y) = sinxcosy + cosxsiny and cos(x+y) = cosxcosy - sinxsiny to rewrite the equation as 3sinxcos10 + 3cosxsin10 = 4cosxcos10 - 4sinxsin10. Then, we can use the Pythagorean identity sin^2x + cos^2x = 1 to eliminate the variables and solve for x.

2. What are some strategies for solving this type of equation?

Some strategies for solving this type of equation include using trigonometric identities, algebraic manipulations, and the Pythagorean identity. It is also helpful to isolate the trigonometric functions on one side of the equation and use inverse trigonometric functions to solve for the variable.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

While you can use a calculator to check your answer, it is not recommended to solely rely on a calculator to solve this type of equation. It is important to understand the concepts and strategies involved in solving trigonometric equations.

4. Are there any restrictions on the solutions for this equation?

Yes, there may be restrictions on the solutions for this equation depending on the given values of x. For example, if x = 90 degrees or x = 270 degrees, the equation will be undefined since the cosine of these angles is equal to 0. It is important to check for any potential restrictions when solving trigonometric equations.

5. How can I check my solution?

To check your solution, you can plug the value of x back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also graph the equation and your solution on a graphing calculator to visually confirm that they intersect at the given point.