1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Component of Force downward on Loppers (the kind for trimming bushes)

1. Jan 20, 2016 #1
    Hi people,

I have a lopper (the kind for trimming bushes or tree branches). I have it rigged up like the diagram below. The blades are on the bottom left. The bottom arm is straight while the top arm is at an angle theta. I have a load cell which is applying a constant force downward and compressing the arm, thus changing the theta.

I noticed that as I apply the load cell force downward, it starts slipping down the upper handle as it compresses. In any case, if F is the force that I apply downward, does it make sense to componentize it into F_x and F_y components? If so, what would that be? I figured it may be some sort of arctan equation but haven't quite wrapped my head around how to go about doing it.

diagram.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

F, as you draw it, does not have a (non-zero) x component. You can split the force in a component orthogonal and a component parallel to the diagonal bar, however. Sine and cosine give the corresponding force components.

4. Jan 21, 2016 #3
    Okay, so if I were the break up F into the orthogonal and parallel components to the diagonal bar (upper handle) would it be:

Parallel: F*csc(theta)
    Orthogonal:F*csc(theta+90)
    ?

Not sure if that is right...

Edit: No, it seems the orthogonal is Fcos(theta)..

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  5. Jan 21, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

And the other one is F sin(theta).

6. Jan 21, 2016 #5
    Perfect. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook