1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Component vector method for resultant force

1. Mar 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An object has two ropes attached. One is on the x axis (positive) with a 60 lb force. One is 120* (Quadrant II) from the first rope with a 30 lb force. I have to find the resultant force and angle using the component vector method of addition NOT the parallelogram method.

2. Relevant equations

Fa + Fb = R

3. The attempt at a solution

I set up a table of components, but I am not sure if they are correct. I am just really confused as to how to approach this problem. I know how to do it using the parallelogram method, but it seems like some important piece of information is missing for doing it using the component vector method.

A=30 lb
    B= 60 lb

Angle A=120*
    Angle B=0*

Ax = ??
    Bx = 60 lb

Ay = ??
    By = 0
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2011 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi argentnox! welcome to pf!

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

to find the component in a direction, always multiply by cos of the angle to that direction :smile:
  4. Mar 25, 2011 #3
    Thank you, I will try that and see how I do. If it is okay, I will probably come back to make sure I got the correct answer. I figure if I got the answer correct, I must have done the work correctly. ;)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?