Components of a covariant vector

In summary, the equation for \tilde{u}(\vec{e}_1) is that it is equal to the sum of the components of \tilde{u} relative to the basis \vec{e}_1, \vec{e}_2, \vec{e}_3, but I'm not sure how to calculate these components. My professor said to use the equation \tilde{u}(\alpha^i{\vec{e}_i} ):= \alpha^3-\alpha^2, but I'm not sure how to do that. I need help understanding this problem.
roldy

Homework Statement

Consider the following two basis sets (or triads) in [tex]{R}^3[/tex]:

[tex]
\{\vec{e}_1, \vec{e}_2, \vec{e}_3\} := \{(1, 0, 0), (0,1, 0), (0, 0, 1)\}
[/tex]

[tex]
\{\widehat{\vec{e}_1}, \widehat{\vec{e}_2}, \widehat{\vec{e}_3}\} := \{(1, 0, 0), (1,1, 0), (1, 1, 1)\}.
[/tex]

Let a covariant vector [tex]\tilde{u}[/tex] be defined by [tex]\tilde{u}(\alpha^i{\vec{e}_i} ):= \alpha^3-\alpha^2[/tex]. Obtain explicitly the components of [tex]\tilde{u}[/tex] relative to the corresponding bases [tex]\{\vec{e}_1, \vec{e}_2, \vec{e}_3\}[/tex] and [tex]\{\widehat{\vec{e}_1}, \widehat{\vec{e}_2}, \widehat{\vec{e}_3}\}[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]
\tilde{a}(\vec{b})=\tilde{a}(\beta^j\vec{e}_j):=\alpha_j\beta^j
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at a solution is just me running around in a bunch of directions. I really don't have a clear understanding of how to approach this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by computing [tex]\tilde{u}(\vec{e}_j)[/tex] for [tex]j = 1,2,3[/tex]. (These are the components of [tex]\tilde{u}[/tex] relative to the basis [tex]\{\vec{e}_1, \vec{e}_2, \vec{e}_3\}[/tex], or more properly speaking, relative to the corresponding dual basis.)

Then expand the new basis vectors [tex]\widehat{\vec{e}_j}[/tex] in terms of the [tex]\vec{e}_k[/tex], and use that to compute [tex]\tilde{u}(\widehat{\vec{e}_j})[/tex] for [tex]j = 1,2,3[/tex].

I'm actually confused at how to do the first part, calculating [tex] \tilde{u}(\vec{e}_j)[/tex].
I know I need to use this relationship [tex]\tilde{u}(\alpha^i{\vec{e}_i} ):= \alpha^3-\alpha^2[/tex].

So expanding the relationship:

[tex]
\tilde{u}(\alpha^1\vec{e}_1+\alpha^2\vec{e}_2+\alpha^3\vec{e}_3)=\alpha^3-\alpha^2
[/tex]

What does the above actually mean?

I asked my professor about this problem and he helped a little. He actually worked through a portion of it. This is what came about.

[tex]
\tilde{u}(\vec{e}_1)=\tilde(u)\left((1)\vec{e}_1+(0)\vec{e}_2+(0)\vec{e}_3\right)=0-0=0
[/tex]

The thing I don't understand about this is why are there basis [tex]\vec{e}_1, \vec{e}_2, \vec{e}_3[/tex] in the parenthesis when you are trying to figure out [tex]\tilde{u}(\vec{e}_1)[/tex].

I need a really simplified (dumbed down) explanation on this. I'm not used of working with anything so abstract.

Would you know of any books that are easy on the reader?

Does anyone else have insight on this problem?

1. What is a covariant vector?

A covariant vector is a mathematical object used in the study of multivariable calculus and differential geometry. It is a geometric quantity that has both magnitude and direction, and its components change under coordinate transformations.

2. How does a covariant vector differ from a contravariant vector?

A covariant vector is represented by its components with respect to a given coordinate system, while a contravariant vector is represented by its basis vectors. This means that the components of a covariant vector transform under coordinate transformations, while the basis vectors of a contravariant vector remain constant.

3. What are the components of a covariant vector?

The components of a covariant vector depend on the coordinate system used to define them. In three-dimensional Euclidean space, a covariant vector has three components: x, y, and z. In other coordinate systems, such as polar coordinates or spherical coordinates, the components may be expressed in terms of different variables.

4. How are the components of a covariant vector related to its magnitude and direction?

The magnitude of a covariant vector is determined by the length of its components. The direction of a covariant vector is determined by the angles between the vector and the coordinate axes. The components of a covariant vector can be used to calculate its magnitude and direction using mathematical operations.

5. What are some real-world applications of covariant vectors?

Covariant vectors are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, fluid mechanics, and computer graphics. They are used to describe physical quantities like velocity, acceleration, and force, and to model complex systems in 3D space. In computer graphics, covariant vectors are used to manipulate and transform 3D objects in virtual environments.