The Weak Nullstellensatz .... aspects of proof by Cox et al

• Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof Weak
In summary, the conversation is about the weak Nullstellensatz and its proof, specifically in regards to Exercise 3 in Chapter 4, Section 1 of the book "Ideals, Varieties and Algorithms: An Introduction to Computational Algebraic Geometry and Commutative Algebra" by David Cox, John Little, and Donal O'Shea. The question at hand is how to formulate and state a formal and rigorous proof for the proposition that the coefficient of ##\tilde{x}^N_1## in ##f## is ##h_N (1, a_2, \ ... \ ... \ , a_n )##. The attempt at a solution involves studying an example case, but the individual seeking help is unsure about
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB

Homework Statement

I am reading the undergraduate introduction to algebraic geometry entitled "Ideals, Varieties and Algorithms: An introduction to Computational Algebraic Geometry and Commutative Algebra (Third Edition) by David Cox, John Little and Donal O'Shea ... ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 4, Section 1: Hilbert's Nullstellensatz ... ... and need help with the aspects of Cox et al's interesting proof of the Weak Nullstellensatz as outlined in Exercise 3 ...

Exercise 3 (Chapter 4, Section 1) reads as follows:

?temp_hash=3c67c1006db114923260012b2d728a81.png
As Exercise 3 refers to aspects of the proof of Theorem 1: The Weak Nullstellensatz, I am providing the first part of the proof of that Theorem as follows:

My question is as follows:

How do we formulate and state a formal and rigorous proof of 3(a) ... ... that is a proof of the proposition that the coefficient ##c(a_1, a_2, \ ... \ ... \ , a_n )## of ##\tilde{x}^N_1## in ##f## is ##h_N (1, a_2, \ ... \ ... \ , a_n )## ... ...

Homework Equations

[/B]
Relevant equations (such as the transformation from ##f_1## to ##\tilde{f}_1## are included in the attempt at a solution ...

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Being unable to formulate a rigorous and general proof I have studies an example case which indicates the proposition is likely to be true ... but not sure about formulating a general proof ... the worked example follows ...

Consider ##f_1 = 3 x_1^2 x_2^2 x_3 + 2 x_2^2 x_3^2##The total degree of ##f_1## is ##N= 5##, determined by the first term, namely ##3 x_1^2 x_2^2 x_3## ... ...Also note that ##h_N(x_1, x_2, x_3) = h_5(x_1, x_2, x_3) = 3 x_1^2 x_2^2 x_3##

and that ##h_5( 1, a_2, a_3) = 3 a_2^2 a_3##

... ... ...

Consider now the transformation f_1 \mapsto \tilde{f_1} given by:

##x_1 = \tilde{x}_1##

##x_2 = \tilde{x}_2 + a_2 \tilde{x}_1##

... ...

... ...

##x_n = \tilde{x}_n + a_n \tilde{x}_1##Considering the above transformation, it is clear that the term ##3 x_1^2 x_2^2 x_3## will give rise the the coefficient of## \tilde{x}^N_1## ... ... so we examine this term under the transformation ... ...... so then ...

##3 x_1^2 x_2^2 x_3 = 3 \tilde{x}_1^2 ( \tilde{x}_2^2 + 2 a_2 \tilde{x}_1 \tilde{x}_2 + a_2^2 \tilde{x}_1^2 ) ( \tilde{x}_3 + a_3 \tilde{x}_1 )####= ( 3 \tilde{x}_1^2 \tilde{x}_2^2 + 6 a_2 \tilde{x}_1^3 \tilde{x}_2 + 3 a_2^2 \tilde{x}_1^4 ) ( \tilde{x}_3 + a_3 \tilde{x}_1 )##
Clearly, the term involving ##\tilde{x}_1^N = \tilde{x}_1^5## will be

##3 a_2^2 a_3 \tilde{x}_1^5##
So we have that ##h_N( \tilde{x}_1, \tilde{x}_2, \tilde{x}_3 )## in ##\tilde{f}_1## is##h_5( \tilde{x}_1, \tilde{x}_2, \tilde{x}_3 ) = 3 a_2^2 a_3 \tilde{x}_1^5##

so we have that

##h_5( 1, a_2, a_3 ) = 3 a_2^2 a_3##

as required ... ... BUT ...

... ... how do we formulate and state a formal proof of the general proposition that the coefficient ##c(a_1, a_2, \ ... \ ... \ , a_n )## of ## \tilde{x}^N_1## in ##f## is ##h_N (1, a_2, \ ... \ ... \ , a_n )## ... ... ?Does the proof just describe the computation process in general terms ... ?Hope someone can help ... ...

Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Attachments

• Cox et al - Exercise 3 - Ch. 4, Section 1 ... ....png
    Cox et al - Exercise 3 - Ch. 4, Section 1 ... ....png
    51.6 KB · Views: 835
  • Cox et al - Weak Nullstellensatz - first part - Page 1 ... ....png
    Cox et al - Weak Nullstellensatz - first part - Page 1 ... ....png
    18.5 KB · Views: 697
  • Cox et al - 2 - Weak Nullstellensatz - first part - Page 2 ... ....png
    Cox et al - 2 - Weak Nullstellensatz - first part - Page 2 ... ....png
    101.7 KB · Views: 682
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
My question is as follows:

How do we formulate and state a formal and rigorous proof of 3(a) ... ... that is a proof of the proposition that the coefficient ##c(a_1, a_2, \ ... \ ... \ , a_n )## of ##\tilde{x}^N_1## in ##f## is ##h_N (1, a_2, \ ... \ ... \ , a_n )## ... ...
I tried the same route as you. I wrote some general terms and quickly ended up with an example that was even easier than yours: only two variables ##x,y## but two terms, not one of total degree ##3.##
... ... how do we formulate and state a formal proof of the general proposition that the coefficient ##c(a_1, a_2, \ ... \ ... \ , a_n )## of ## \tilde{x}^N_1## in ##f## is ##h_N (1, a_2, \ ... \ ... \ , a_n )## ... ... ?
With a heck a lot of patience I guess ...
Does the proof just describe the computation process in general terms ... ?
Yes. If you really want to do it, I suggest to take an inductive process over the number of variables. Otherwise you'll have to be enormously careful not to get lost in indices.

Another approach could be to substitute the points ##a_i \; (i > 1)## at the very start. As long as you do not specify them, it makes no difference whether they are points or variables, which are anyway seen as coordinates of your variety. One has only to keep an eye on the highest monomials.

In general, you might have to change your view a bit from the pure algebraic point to a more geometric point, because that is what your textbook is about. The algebraic objects here mainly serve the role of a toolbox to analyse geometric varieties and to establish a kind of dictionary that translates one to the other and vice versa.

fresh_42 said:
I tried the same route as you. I wrote some general terms and quickly ended up with an example that was even easier than yours: only two variables ##x,y## but two terms, not one of total degree ##3.##

With a heck a lot of patience I guess ...

Yes. If you really want to do it, I suggest to take an inductive process over the number of variables. Otherwise you'll have to be enormously careful not to get lost in indices.

Another approach could be to substitute the points ##a_i \; (i > 1)## at the very start. As long as you do not specify them, it makes no difference whether they are points or variables, which are anyway seen as coordinates of your variety. One has only to keep an eye on the highest monomials.

In general, you might have to change your view a bit from the pure algebraic point to a more geometric point, because that is what your textbook is about. The algebraic objects here mainly serve the role of a toolbox to analyse geometric varieties and to establish a kind of dictionary that translates one to the other and vice versa.
Thanks fresh_42 ... most helpful guidance and advice ...

Appreciate your help ...

Peter

1. What is the Weak Nullstellensatz theorem and how is it used in algebraic geometry?

The Weak Nullstellensatz theorem, also known as the Hilbert's Nullstellensatz theorem, states that for any algebraically closed field, the ideal of polynomials that vanish at a set of points is equal to the radical of the ideal generated by those points. This theorem is used in algebraic geometry to relate the geometry of algebraic sets to the algebraic properties of their defining polynomials.

2. How does the proof of the Weak Nullstellensatz by Cox et al differ from other proofs?

The proof of the Weak Nullstellensatz by Cox et al is based on the theory of Gröbner bases and the Buchberger's algorithm. This approach provides an algorithmic way to compute the radical of an ideal, making the proof more constructive and applicable in computational algebraic geometry.

3. Can the Weak Nullstellensatz be extended to non-algebraically closed fields?

Yes, the Weak Nullstellensatz can be extended to non-algebraically closed fields, but it requires additional assumptions. In particular, the field needs to be perfect, which means that every algebraic extension is separable.

4. What are the main applications of the Weak Nullstellensatz theorem?

The Weak Nullstellensatz has several important applications in algebraic geometry and related fields. It is used to prove the existence of solutions to systems of polynomial equations, to characterize algebraic sets, and to study the dimension of algebraic varieties. It also has applications in coding theory, cryptography, and optimization problems.

5. Are there any generalizations of the Weak Nullstellensatz theorem?

Yes, there are several generalizations of the Weak Nullstellensatz theorem, such as the Strong Nullstellensatz, the Weak Nullstellensatz for local rings, and the Nullstellensatz for graded rings. These generalizations provide more powerful tools for studying algebraic sets and their properties.