1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Composition of homomorphisms is a homomorphism

1. Aug 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that if [tex]f: G \to H[/tex] and [tex]g: H \to K[/tex] are homomorphisms, then so is [tex]g \circ f: G \to K[/tex].

2. The attempt at a solution

Since [tex]f[/tex] is a homomorphism [tex](G, * )[/tex] and [tex](H, \circ)[/tex] are groups and [tex]f(a*b)= f(a) \circ f(b), \forall a,b \in G[/tex]. Likewise, [tex](K, +)[/tex] is a group and [tex]g(f(a) \circ f(b)) = g(f(a)) + g(f(b)), \forall f(a), f(b) \in H[/tex] with [tex]a, b \in G[/tex]. Hence, [tex]g \circ f = g(f(x))[/tex] [tex]\forall x\in G[/tex]. [tex]g \circ f[/tex] is a homomorphism.

Is this anything like correct?
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2008 #2
  4. Aug 4, 2008 #3
    Someone will correct me on this, but I'm pretty sure I'm not incorrect.

First of all, you shouldn't say the homomorphism implies G and H are groups. The problem should start out with

Let <G,*>, <H,o>, and <K,+> be groups and let f: G->H be a homomorphism and g: H->K be a homomorphism prove that (g o f): G->K is a homomorphism.

If I was in trouble doing this problem, I'd first state what I need to show:

NTS: (g o f) (x*y) = (g o f)(x) + (g o f)(y) for all x,y in G.

This is the homomorphism property.

So if you pick any 2 random elements in G and "combine" them, then pop them into (g o f) you should get the same result as if you first popped each one into (g o f) then "combined" them. This is english for homomorphism.

I guess the only thing left is take 2 elements in G and show that what we said in two different ways is true.. ie:

Let x, y \element of G, then { ... } done!

I think what you've done above is good.. just need to structure it better =)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?