Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compressor Flow Rate

1. Sep 11, 2011 #1
    I need some help in understanding a few things about air compressors & in particular Centifugal Compressors, could someone help me out with this please.
    This is not homework, just me trying to understand.

If a Centrifugal compressor is rated at "just for example only" 10bar pressure @ 100 m^3/min, is this the rated flow out of an open hose or nozzle into the atmosphere, no load condition?

Or is this under full working load?

As an example only so I can understand more clearly using the compressor specs above.

If we have a hypothetical cylinder of 100 m^3 volume fitted with a piston inside, the piston has a load attached externally at the other end.
    The pressure needed to move the piston & the load is say 9 bar, how long will it take for the piston to move the total length of the cylinder & for the compressor to fill the full volume of the cylinder.
    In other words what would the flow rate be of the compressor in this situation.

A working example of the calculation to work this out would be very helpful.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2011 #2
    You need to know whetther the flow rate quoted is in ACM/s or SCM/s that is actual cubic meters / sec or standard cubic meters / sec. ACM is the volume of the gas at the stated pressure SCM is the volume of the gas at standard pressure (and temperature) use absolute pressure and temperature. Very very roughly 100 ACM at 10 bar A will be 1000 SCM.

4. Sep 12, 2011 #3
    Thanks Jobrag.

I see what your saying.

Thanks again

Cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook