Compton Scattering MCQ: Min No. of Collisions to Absorb Photon

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
neelakash
Messages
491
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



A photon of wavelength [tex]\lambda[/tex] enters an electron gas.What is the minimum number of collisions that could result in the photon being completely absorbed in the gas?

(a) [tex]\approx[/tex][tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\frac{mc}{2h}[/tex]

(b) [tex]\approx[/tex][tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\frac{mc}{h}[/tex]

(c) [tex]\approx[/tex][tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\frac{2mc}{h}[/tex]

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



I have done in following way:

It can be shown that for compton scattering,

[tex]\frac{ E }{ \Delta E }[/tex]=[tex]\frac{mc^2}{ h\nu\[1-cos\phi]}[/tex]

where [tex]\large E[/tex] is the initial energy of the photon and [tex]\Delta E[/tex] is the energy lost per scattering phenomenon.

Now,demanding for the minimum number of collision,I had (a) the correct answer corresponding to [tex]\phi[/tex]=[tex]\ 180[/tex][tex]\circ[/tex]. What does the scattering angle imply?

Please check my work.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I posted h(nu) times (1- cos phi)

and in the last but one line, phi=180 degree