• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Compton Scattering Angle - CM FRAME

Homework Statement

Given incoming photon has energy 10Mev and scatters at angle 25 degrees, find the scattering angle in CM frame.

fyzy40.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
In lab frame, let the energy of incoming photon be ##E##. Total 4-vector would be ##P + Q = (\frac{E}{c},\frac{E}{c}) + (mc,0)##.

Using compton scattering formulas, I solved the scattering angle of electron ##\alpha = 35 ^o##, energy of scatted electron ##E_e = 4.02 ~MeV##, energy of scattered photon ##E' = 5.47~MeV##.

Having solved this completely in the lab frame before/after scattering, how do I proceed in CM-frame?

In CM frame, total momentum is ##0##, so 4-vector would be ##P_{cm} + Q_{cm} = (\frac{E_{p,cm}+E_{e,cm}}{c},0)##.

Even when I assume that in CM frame they are both scattered along the same line it doesn't help.

Answers and Replies

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Did you mean ##\alpha=35^\circ## or is that a typo?

Since you know everything the lab frame, you can simply use the Lorentz transformation to find the four-vectors in the CM frame. Suppose the CM moves with speed ##\beta=v/c##. Get expressions for the three-momentum of the photon and the electron in the CM frame. As you noted, their sum should be 0, which will allow you to determine ##\beta##.

Solved.