Relative angle after Compton scattering?

In summary, the equation for the electron momentum is: ##\frac{cp_esin\varphi }{sin\theta }=E_{\gamma }^{'}sin\theta##.
skrat

Homework Statement

Photon with ##\lambda =10^{-12} m## hits an electron (Compton scattering). After the interaction the photon and electron move under relative angle of 90°. Calculate the kinetic energy of electron. Hint: First find the relation between ##\theta ## and ##\varphi##. (##\theta +\varphi = 90°##)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't find the relation! How on Earth can I find it?

The only thing I get from components of momentum is: ##\frac{hc}{\lambda ^{'}}sin\theta =cp_esin\varphi ##

But this doesn't help me much... or does it? o_O

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use energy conservation together with momentum conservation. Alternatively, find a formula for the electron momentum and λ′ as function of the two angles.

Ok...

##cp_esin\varphi =E_{\gamma }^{'}sin\theta ## and therefore ##\frac{cp_esin\varphi }{sin\theta }=E_{\gamma }^{'}##

momentum conservation along x axis:

##E_{\gamma }=cp_ecos\varphi +E_{\gamma }^{'}cos\theta ## using the last expression above:

##cp_e=\frac{E_\gamma }{cos\varphi +sin\varphi ctg\theta }##

so If I now insert this to ##cp_esin\varphi =E_{\gamma }^{'}sin\theta ## than:

##E^{'}=\frac{E_\gamma }{sin(\varphi +\theta )}##

But I can't see how this helps me?

sin(φ+θ) = sin(90°) = ?

Hmm, that doesn't look right. Where does that come from?

##cp_e=\frac{E_\gamma }{cos\varphi +sin\varphi ctg\theta}## and ##cp_esin\varphi =E_{\gamma }^{'}sin\theta##

so

##\frac{E_\gamma }{cos\varphi +sin\varphi ctg\theta}sin\varphi =E_{\gamma }^{'}sin\theta##

##\frac{E_\gamma }{sin\theta cos\varphi +sin\theta sin\varphi ctg\theta}sin\varphi =E_{\gamma }^{'}##

##sin\theta cos\varphi +sin\theta sin\varphi ctg\theta=sin\theta cos\varphi+sin\varphi cos\theta =sin(\varphi + \theta )##

##\frac{E_\gamma }{sin(\theta +\varphi )}sin\varphi =E_{\gamma }^{'}##

I know it doesn't like right... :D That's why I am here asking.. :/

1. What is Compton scattering?

Compton scattering is an electromagnetic interaction between a photon and a charged particle, where the photon transfers some of its energy to the particle, resulting in a decrease in the photon's energy and an increase in its wavelength.

2. How does Compton scattering affect the relative angle?

Compton scattering causes the relative angle between the photon and the charged particle to change. The initial angle between the two particles is known as the incident angle, and the angle after scattering is called the scattered angle.

3. What factors affect the relative angle after Compton scattering?

The relative angle after Compton scattering is affected by the energy and direction of the incident photon, the mass and charge of the scattered particle, and the energy transferred during the interaction.

4. How is the relative angle after Compton scattering calculated?

The relative angle after Compton scattering can be calculated using the Compton scattering formula, which takes into account the initial and final energies and the masses of the particles involved. This formula is based on the principles of conservation of energy and momentum.

5. What is the significance of studying the relative angle after Compton scattering?

Studying the relative angle after Compton scattering is important in understanding the behavior of particles and radiation in various environments. It has applications in fields such as astrophysics, medical imaging, and material science. It also helps in studying the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and the electromagnetic interaction.