1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computation of resistance with arbitrary local resistivity rho(x,y,z)

1. Nov 16, 2011 #1
    Bonjour,

I need to numerically compute the net electrical resistance of a given geometry.

I know the shape of my object, it is relatively simple. It's close to this: http://2.imimg.com/data2/QX/UC/IMFCP-3019296/i-shape-big-1-250x250.jpg
    Actually my shape is even simpler because it's a parallelepiped flanked by two trapezoids.

As data, I have many points coordinates x,y,z and the corresponding resistivity which is unusually dependant of the position.

my data table looks like that:

x1 y1 z1 rho1
    x2 y2 z2 rho2
    x3 y3 z3 rho3
    x4 y4 z4 rho4
    ect...
    xn yn zn rhon

n is my number of point in my geometry.

Naturally, since the electrical current will preferentially go to the low resistivity domain. I cannot use the R=rho*l/S formula.

I probably have to solve J=sigma*E for every point with sigma(x,y,z)=1/rho(x,y,z)

Does someone have any idea of algorithm that can compute the resistance?

Thank you very much

Pierre

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2011 #2
    I forgot to mention that my resistivity was a tensor and not a mere scalar.

4. Nov 19, 2011 #3
    Any leads maybe????

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook