1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compute circulation of vector around the contour

1. May 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Compute the circulation of the vector a = yi+x2j - zk around the contour L: {x2 +y2 = 4; z = 3}, a) directly and b) via the Stokes Theorem.
    Plot the contour and show its orientation.

2. Relevant equations

Stokes theorem is [itex]\oint[/itex]F.dr = [itex]\int[/itex]∇ X F . n dS

3. The attempt at a solution

For (a) which is solving it directly, i used the left side of the equation [itex]\oint[/itex]F.dr and I obtained 0 as my answer. Having problem with part b. What should my ∇f be? Is it 2x i + 2y j + 0 k?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it isn't. Don't you know how [itex]nabla\times \vec{F}[/itex] is defined? If [itex]\vec{F}= f(x,y,z)\vec{i}+ g(x,y,z)\vec{j}+ h(x,y,z)\vec{k}[/itex] then
    [tex]\nabla\times \vec{F}= \left(\frac{\partial h}{\partial y}- \frac{\partial g}{\partial z}\right)\vec{i}-\left(\frac{\partial h}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\right)\vec{j}+ \left(\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right)\vec{k}[/tex]

4. May 11, 2013 #3
    Yes I know that. But to obtain a unit normal vector n, i need to first find [itex]\frac{∇f}{|∇f|}[/itex] , isn't it?

Anyway, I managed to find a mistake I made for the left hand side, and obtained my answer as -4pi. Mind guiding me through for the right hand side?

5. May 17, 2013 #4
    How did you get -4pi? Also, did you manage to finish part b?

6. May 18, 2013 #5

I like Serena

Homework Helper

No.

The unit normal vector ##\mathbf n## is normal to the surface inside the contour.
    The obvious choice for that surface is in the plane z=3, bounded by a circle.
    The unit normal vector to that plane is ##\mathbf n = \mathbf k##.

So first you have to determine ##\nabla \times \mathbf a##, and then you have to take the dot product with ##\mathbf n = \mathbf k##.

7. May 21, 2013 #6
    How do you know it's "k" and not negative "k"

8. May 22, 2013 #7

I like Serena

Homework Helper

You can choose the direction.
    The consequence is that for the contour integral you have to follow the contour according to the right hand rule.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted