1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the circulation of a vector field

1. Feb 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Can someone guide me through solving a problem involving the circulation of a vector field?
    The question is as stated
    for the vector field [itex] E = (xy)X^ - (x^2 + 2y^2)Y^ [/itex], where the letters next to the parenthesis with the hat mean they x y vector component. I need to find the circulation of that vector field given by the close path of a triangle going from (0,0) to (0,1) to (1,1) and back to (0,0)

2. Relevant equations

circulation = ∫Bdl

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried taking the partial derivatives with respect to x and y and then added the results. Then I took the double integral from 0 to 1 for the given result. The answer in the back of the book says -1. The only examples I see everywhere is the one with the circle which is very simple and only has one path. I understand I can add the integration of the individual paths, so how can I do the last part goinf from (1,1) to (0,0) when the vector changes for both variables?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to show your work. Among other possible errors, integrating both x and y from 0 to 1 would describe a square, not a triangle. Are you using Green's theorem? That would give an integrand of ##Q_x - P_y## not their sum.

4. Feb 18, 2014 #3
    Thank you for your reply. I didn't know what I was doing, but I used Green's theorem as you said and helped me solve the problem. I integrated with respect to x from 0 to 1 and with respect to y from 0 to x and I obtained the right answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted