1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compute genus via Riemann-Hurwitz and monodromy

1. Jan 5, 2012 #1
    Hi guys,

I new to Algebraic Geometry and was wondering if someone could help me with this problem:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the algebraic curve [itex]w(z)[/itex] represented by [itex]w^5+w^2+z^2=0[/itex], show that the genus is one by employing the Riemann-Hurwitz formula.

2. Relevant equations
    For the mapping [itex]f:X\to S[/itex], the Riemann-Hurwitz formula is given by:
    [tex]2g(X)-2=\text{deg}(f)\left[2g(S)-2\right)+\sum (e_w-1)[/tex]

which I assume the expression [itex]f:X\to S[/itex] as applied to my problem can be written as [itex]w(z):\mathbb{C}\to S[/itex], that is, the function w(z) maps the (five-sheeted) complex plane to the Riemann surface given by [itex]S[/itex] and it is this surface that is topologically equivalent to a Riemann sphere with one handle thus having genus one. If that's not the correct way to state that, could someone correct that for me please?

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe I understand somewhat well, direct construction of the Riemann surface given by the expression [itex]w^2-p(z)=0[/itex] and the subsequent determination of its genus directly from the union of two Riemann spheres. However I'm not able to deduce that via Riemann-Hurwitz.

But back to the problem above:

I'm taking [itex]g(X)[/itex] to be the genus of the complex plane which is zero.

The degree of [itex]f[/itex] I'm taking to be the highest degree of [itex]f(z,w)[/itex] in [itex]w[/itex] which is five.

The sum is where I'm having the problem. This I belive can be computed from the monodromy group which I assume represents the ramifications around each branch-point which I take to mean the branching around each branch-point including infinity. Here's my analysis of that:

The function has six finite branch points and the surface [itex]S[/itex] ramifies around each one as a two-valued branch and three single-valued branches. I think each monodromy group about these branch-points can be written in terms of [itex]\left\{(n,m)\right\}[/itex] with [itex]n[/itex] being the sheet number and [itex]m[/itex], the branch order as:

[tex]((1,2),(3,1),(4,1),(5,1))[/tex]

Maybe though that's not a valid way to write that. However, around the branch-point at infinity, the function ramifies into a single five-valued branch so the monodromy group is [itex]((1,5))[/itex]

So my (incorrect) analysis of the sum would be [itex]\sum (e_w-1)=(2-1)+(1-1)+(1-1)+(1-1)[/itex] for each finite branch-point and [itex]\sum (e_w-1)=5-1[/itex] for the point at infinity. Plugging all this into the Riemann-Hurwitz formula I obtain:

[tex]-2=5\left[2g-2\right]+10[/tex]

and solving for g I obtain [itex]g=-1/5[/itex] which is obviously not correct.

I don't know, maybe I'm not even qualified to even ask the question. Still I would like to see how it's solved at the very least if someone could help me with that and as I study more the subject, I'm sure it will come together eventually for me.
    Thanks,
    Jack

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2012 #2
    Let [itex]f(z,w)=z^2+w^2+w^5[/itex]

then it's much easier to compute it via the formula:

[tex]p=\sum_{i=1}^M \frac{r_i-1}{2}-n+1[/tex]

with [itex]n[/itex] the degree of the function and [itex]r_i[/itex] the ramifications over each critical point including infinity.

The finite critical points are zeros to [itex]R(f,f_w)=0[/itex] where R is the resultant since the function has no poles. There are seven critical points, one of which is the origin. At the origin, the function splits into five single-cycles. At the other six, it ramifies into a 2-cycle and three single cycles. At infinity, it fully ramifies into a 5-cycle. So then we have:

[tex]p=\sum_{i=1}^8 \frac{r_i-1}{2}-n+1=1/2(1+1+1+1+1+1+4)-5+1=1[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook