Compute lorentz force from charge

In summary, the conversation discusses a raindrop with a charge of 25x10-12 coulombs falling at a velocity of 5 m/s between the poles of a permanent magnet. The raindrop passes through a 50 mm long region with a horizontal magnetic field density of 0.9 T. The first question asks to determine the Lorentz force of the raindrop, which is found to be 1.125 N. The second question asks to estimate the horizontal component of the raindrop's velocity after passing through the magnetic field, which can be calculated by estimating the mass of the raindrop and the time it is under the influence of the magnetic field.
tifa8

Homework Statement

A raindrop carrying a charge of 25x10-12 coulombs falls at a velocity of 5 m/s between the poles of a permanent magnet. It passes through a 50 mm long region in which the magnetic field density of 0.9 T is directed horizontally.

1) determine the lorentz force of the raindrop
2) ESTIMATE THE HORIZONTAL COMPONENT OF THE RAINDROP VELOCITY AFTER IT PASSES THROUGH THE MAGNETIC FIELD (DIAMETER DROP=1MM)

Joined, diagram of how i interpreted the text

Homework Equations

F=q*(vector v x vector B)=qvb in magnitude

The Attempt at a Solution

1) by applying the formula I got F=25.10-2*5*0.9=1.125 N

However I do not understand question 2. For me the horizontal velocity component is equal to zero (going down) so it doesn't make sense to me.

Can someone explain it to me ? Thanks

Attachments

• diagram.png
    diagram.png
    3 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry F=1.125.10-10

Won't the force cause the drop to accelerate? What will happen to its velocity?

the velocity will increase and change slightly direction i think. But even though there is not any horizontal component , right ? I really cannot see it...

Try drawing it from the point of view where the magnetic field points into or out of the page. Which way does the force point?

Hi tifa8! :smile:

The raindrop is accelerated horizontally by the Lorentz Force F.
To find the horizontal acceleration you need to estimate the mass of the raindrop (F=ma).
To find the horizontal component of the velocity you need to calculate the time the magnetic field exerts its influence (v=at).

Oh ok thanks. Now I can visualize the problem. Thank you I like serena and vela :)

1. How do you calculate the Lorentz force from a charge?

The Lorentz force is calculated using the formula F = q(E + v x B), where q is the charge, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the charge, and B is the magnetic field.

2. What is the direction of the Lorentz force?

The direction of the Lorentz force is always perpendicular to both the electric and magnetic fields, and is determined by the right-hand rule.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the Lorentz force?

The magnitude of the Lorentz force is affected by the strength of the electric and magnetic fields, the charge of the particle, and the velocity of the particle.

4. Can the Lorentz force be negative?

Yes, the Lorentz force can be negative. This occurs when the charge is moving in the opposite direction of the magnetic field, resulting in a force in the opposite direction.

5. How is the Lorentz force used in practical applications?

The Lorentz force is used in a variety of practical applications, such as particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and electric motors. It is also important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields, which is essential in fields like plasma physics and astrophysics.