Compute the main free path of a hydrogen atom in interstellar space

In summary, the problem discussed the average temperature and density of interstellar space and asked for the main free path of a hydrogen atom. The density was calculated and used to find the mean free path, which was determined to be 2.25 x 10^(19) m. However, this may not be accurate in reality due to the influence of magnetic and electric fields in the ionized interstellar medium.
gazepdapi1
Problem:
Interstellar space has an average temperature of about 10K and an average density of hydrogen atoms of about one hydrogen atom per cubic meter. Compute the main free path of a hydrogen atom in interstellar space. Take the diameter of an H atom to be 100 pm.

Here is what I did. I first calculated the density.

Density =(pressure)(Na)/RT=(1x10^-11)*(6.022E22)/(8.314*10) = 7.243 E10 m^-3
(I used 1x10^-11 for the pressure in space)

The I used this to find the MFP.

lamda = 1/(root(2)*density*pi*d^2) = 1/(root(2)*7.243E10*pi*(100x10^-12)^2)

So for the mean free path I got .310 nm.
Can someone verify if this is correct.

thanks
nertil

Physics news on Phys.org
Your numbers don't seem reasonable. The density of heavy metals is on the order of 1 E4 kg/m^3 and for nearly empty space to have 1 million times that density doesn't seem right. And if there's only 1 atom per cubic meter, why would a hydrogen atom only travel 1 billionth of that before hitting another atom? It seems to me the density is already given. You have the volume taken up by one H atom, one cubic meter, and if you look up its mass, well divide the two and there's your density. A very small number, as it should be.

I think he used number density, not mass density. Then the value is explicitly told:
density=1/m^3. You don't need to calculate it from a (wrong) assumption for pressure.

OK, I haven't seen it done that way. So is a fraction of a nanometer a reasonable number, then?

Mean free path in space should be enormous, not nanometres.

Check out wikipedia: mean free path for maxwellian particles (low T) is given by (sqrt(2) n sigma)^(-1), where n is the number density, and sigma is the effective cross section. The cross section is just given by ~ pi r^2 (classical approximation), and the number density of 1/m^3.

Using n=1/m^3, and r=100e-12, I get the mean free path as 2.25 x 10^(19)m, which is about 2400 light years.

This is clearly not true. Why? The interstellar medium is ionised, so magnetic and electric fields play a role.

Yeah I get the same result, 2.25 x 10^(19) m. So this isn't the right answer then?

It is for this problem, as far as I can see. But it's not true in reality, for the reasons I mentioned.

1. What is the main free path of a hydrogen atom in interstellar space?

The main free path of a hydrogen atom in interstellar space refers to the average distance that a hydrogen atom will travel before colliding with another particle.

2. How is the main free path of a hydrogen atom in interstellar space calculated?

The main free path of a hydrogen atom in interstellar space is calculated using the mean free path formula, which takes into account the number density of particles and the collision cross-section of the hydrogen atom.

3. Why is the main free path of a hydrogen atom in interstellar space important?

The main free path of a hydrogen atom in interstellar space is important because it helps us understand the interactions and dynamics of particles in interstellar space, and can give insights into the physical properties of the space environment.

4. How does the main free path of a hydrogen atom in interstellar space compare to other particles?

The main free path of a hydrogen atom in interstellar space is generally longer than that of larger particles, such as dust grains, due to their smaller size and lower collision cross-section. However, it may be affected by the presence of other particles and magnetic fields in the space environment.

5. Can the main free path of a hydrogen atom in interstellar space change?

Yes, the main free path of a hydrogen atom in interstellar space can change depending on factors such as the density and composition of particles in the space environment, as well as external factors like solar wind and cosmic rays.