Ideal gas law problem in outer space

In summary: So, to summarise, the density of matter in outer space is about one atom per cm^3, mainly hydrogen atoms, at a temperature of 3.4K. Using the equations provided, the average speed of the hydrogen atoms is approximately 300m/s and the pressure is approximately 5 X 10^-22 atm. The mistake in the pressure calculation was due to confusion between cubic centimeters and cubic meters.
Freye

Homework Statement

In outer space, the density of matter is about one atom per cm^3, mainly hydrogen atoms, and the temperature is about 3.4K. Calculate the average speed of the hydrogen atoms, and the pressure (in atmospheres)

M_H = 1.0079au = 1.67 X 10^-27 Kg
1 Hydrogen atom per cm^3 = 100 hydrogen atoms per m^3
K (Boltzmann's constant) = 1.381 X 10^-23
T = 3.4K

Homework Equations

m[tex]\bar{}v[/tex]^2 /2 = 3kT/2
PV = Nm[tex]\bar{}v[/tex]^2 /3

The Attempt at a Solution

part 1:
m[tex]\bar{}v[/tex]^2 /2 = 3kT/2
[tex]\bar{}v[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{}3(1.381 X 10^-23)(3.4)/(1.67 X 10^-27)[/tex]
[tex]\bar{}v[/tex] [tex]\approx[/tex] 300m/s

part 2:
Consider V = 1m^3

PV = Nm[tex]\bar{}v[/tex]^2 /3
P =Nm[tex]\bar{}v[/tex]^2 /3V
=(100)(1.67 X 10^-25)(300)^2/3(1)
P [tex]\approx[/tex] 5X 10^-19 N/m^2 [tex]\approx[/tex] 5 X10^-24 atm

As usual, I get the first part of the question right, but the answer to the second part is 5 X 10^-22 not ^-24. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
How many cc in a cubic metre?

Hint 1 cc = sugar cube, 1m^3 = refridgerator

Isn't there 100 cubic centimetres in a cubic metre? I'll be really embarrassed if that's where my mistake is. If there is 100 cc in 1m^3, then my "1 Hydrogen atom per cm^3 = 100 hydrogen atoms per m^3" is correct, is it not?

Freye said:
Isn't there 100 cubic centimetres in a cubic metre? I'll be really embarrassed if that's where my mistake is. If there is 100 cc in 1m^3, then my "1 Hydrogen atom per cm^3 = 100 hydrogen atoms per m^3" is correct, is it not?

1 cubic centimeter = 1.0 × 10-6 cubic meters.
When you use a million, you should get: 5.01E-17 Pa, when converted, you end up with 4.8546E-22 atm.

Freye said:
Isn't there 100 cubic centimetres in a cubic metre? I'll be really embarrassed if that's where my mistake is.

A cubic metre is a 100cm on one side, 100cm on the width and 100cm on the height.

As I said, picture it
1 cc is a sugar cube, 100 sugar cubes would be the size of your hand , 1000 sugar cubes would be 10x10x10cm the size of a saucepan.

Oh gawd, now I am embarrassed, lol. Thanks guys, that clears that up.

What is the ideal gas law and how does it apply to outer space?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the product of the number of moles and temperature, assuming constant values for the other variables. This law applies to gases in outer space because they behave similarly to ideal gases on Earth, with the exception of extremely low temperatures and high pressures.

Why is the ideal gas law important for understanding outer space?

The ideal gas law is important for understanding outer space because it helps us predict and explain the behavior of gases in this environment. It allows us to calculate properties like pressure, volume, and temperature, which are crucial in understanding the composition and dynamics of the atmosphere and other gaseous environments in space.

How does the ideal gas law change in outer space compared to on Earth?

The ideal gas law does not change in outer space compared to on Earth, but the conditions in outer space may affect the values of the variables in the equation. For example, the low temperatures and high pressures in some parts of space may cause the gas to deviate from ideal behavior, making the equation less accurate. Also, the lack of gravity in space can change the distribution of gas molecules, affecting the pressure and volume of the gas.

What are some common applications of the ideal gas law in outer space?

The ideal gas law is used in various applications in outer space, including predicting the behavior of gases in spacecraft, calculating the properties of gas clouds and atmospheres on other planets, and determining the effects of solar winds on the Earth's atmosphere. It is also used in the design and operation of space suits and other equipment used in space exploration.

How can the ideal gas law be used to solve problems in outer space?

The ideal gas law can be used to solve a variety of problems in outer space, such as calculating the amount of air needed for breathing in a spacecraft, determining the volume of a gas cloud in space, and predicting the behavior of gases in different atmospheric conditions. It can also be used to troubleshoot and design spacecraft and other equipment to withstand the extreme conditions of outer space.