Compute the work done by the force field.

In summary: Yeah, I used the capital letter out of habit. But my point was to make sure the OP understood the independent variable was ##t## and the use of the ##t## limits.
bfusco

Homework Statement

compute the work done by the force field F(xyz)=[(yze^(xyz)+y^2+1)i+(xze^(xyz)+2xy)j+(xye^(xyz))k], in moving the object along the path C from beginning to end. here C is the path paramterized by r(t)=<t, (t^2)-1, t+2>, 0<_t<_1.

The Attempt at a Solution

Would i be correct if i said that i should use the functions of x(t), y(t), z(t), and substituting them into the original equation? then take the derivative of r(t) and do the dot product of them. then use the formula: ∫F*dr?

Physics news on Phys.org
bfusco said:

Homework Statement

compute the work done by the force field F(xyz)=[(yze^(xyz)+y^2+1)i+(xze^(xyz)+2xy)j+(xye^(xyz))k], in moving the object along the path C from beginning to end. here C is the path paramterized by r(t)=<t, (t^2)-1, t+2>, 0<_t<_1.

The Attempt at a Solution

Would i be correct if i said that i should use the functions of x(t), y(t), z(t), and substituting them into the original equation? then take the derivative of r(t) and do the dot product of them. then use the formula: ∫F*dr?

If you mean$$
\int_0^1\vec F\cdot \frac{d\vec R}{dt}\, dt$$then yes.

bfusco said:
Some of that sounds right, other parts bewildering. To make it clearer, try it and post your working.

LCKurtz said:
If you mean$$
\int_0^1\vec F\cdot \frac{d\vec R}{dt}\, dt$$then yes.
Actually, given that [itex]\vec{r}(t)[/itex] is a function of t, "[itex]d\vec{r}[/itex]" is a reasonable way of writing "[itex](d\vec{r}/dt) dt[/itex]". But I would object to using the capital R when only "r" was given before.

HallsofIvy said:
Actually, given that [itex]\vec{r}(t)[/itex] is a function of t, "[itex]d\vec{r}[/itex]" is a reasonable way of writing "[itex](d\vec{r}/dt) dt[/itex]". But I would object to using the capital R when only "r" was given before.

Yeah, I used the capital letter out of habit. But my point was to make sure the OP understood the independent variable was ##t## and the use of the ##t## limits.

1. What is work in terms of physics?

In physics, work is defined as the product of the force applied to an object and the distance over which the force is applied.

2. How do you calculate the work done by a force field?

The work done by a force field can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work?

The unit of measurement for work is joules (J).

4. Can the work done by a force field be negative?

Yes, the work done by a force field can be negative if the force is acting in the opposite direction of the displacement of the object.

5. How is the direction of work determined for a force field?

The direction of work for a force field is determined by the direction of the force acting on the object. If the force and displacement are in the same direction, the work is positive. If they are in opposite directions, the work is negative.