1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by Three Dimensional Inverse Square Field

1. Apr 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the work done by the three-dimensional inverse-square field

## F(r) = \frac {1} {||r||^3} r ##

on a particle that moves along the line segment from P(6, 2, 3) to Q(4,2,4)

2. Relevant equations

## \int_C F \bullet dr = \int_a^b f(h(t), g(t)) \sqrt {(\frac {dx} {dt})^2 + (\frac {dy} {dt})^2} = \int_a^b f(h(t),g(t)) ||\vec r'(t)|| dt##

3. The attempt at a solution

I cannot figure out where to start. I've been generally confused by line integrals the entire section. The only relationship I can see is with the 3rd equation I provided in the relevant equations where we have a magnitude ##||\vec r'(t)||##. But then what would be the function F? Is it the ##\frac {1} {||r||^3} r##? But that is a function of F(r), so I'm not sure how this changes the dynamics of the problem...? The most I could thing of would be along the lines of

## \int_C F \bullet dr = \int_a^b f(h(t),g(t)) ||\vec r'(t)|| dt##

## \int_C F \bullet dr = \int_a^b \frac {r} {||r||^3} ||\vec r'(t)|| dt ##

but now we have a function of r AND t inside this integral, but the integral is with respect to t, so could I just pull the function of r out?

## \int_C F \bullet dr = \frac {r} {||r||^3} \int_a^b ||\vec r'(t)|| dt ##

but then what is the function for r(t), I don't understand parameterization very well, and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to make some kind of parametric substitution?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What did you do with the dot product ? In your first equation you pretend ##\vec F## and ##d\vec r## are collinear -- they are not !

And your ##
    F(r) = \frac {1} {||r||^3} r## should be ##
    \vec F(\vec r) = \frac {1} {||r||^3} \vec r## or
    ##
    \vec F(\vec r) = \frac {1} {\vec r\cdot\vec r} \hat r##

4. Apr 10, 2016 #3
    I'm not sure I follow. Since F is a function of r in this case, unlike it is usually a function re-parameterized, I'm not sure how to deal with F as a function of r, in general.

5. Apr 10, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A force is a vector. Your inverse-square forces point away from the origin. So the force vector at position ##(x,y,z)## has a magnitude that only depends on ##|\vec r| = \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}## but a direction that depends on each of x, y and z.

You path is from ##(6,2,3)## to ##(4,2,4)##. I could draw the path as a line segment in the plane ##y = 2##, but that doesn't help much. Your job (as I understand it *) is to find a way to express ##\vec F\cdot d\vec s## ( I use ##\vec s## for the path direction, to distinguish from the position vector ##\vec r##) and integrate.

*) there are other more indirect ways to calculate this work, but they depend on establishing that ##\vec F## is conservative and finding the corresponding potential field; my impression is that you are supposed to actually do the integral in this exercise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted